Friday, September 7, 2012

You Are What You Eat

As this blog is about my life here, I have to talk about different things that are going on in my life.

Sooo... after Serbia and the wonderful food I ate, which I don't regret any bite, I came back to Dubai a little depressed (had such a wonderful time there!), a few pounds heavier, and "full."  As can be seen from my CLEAN episode back in April, I go through sporadic health kicks and after my return was just the right time to get back on a detox.

With this in mind, I discovered 2 things that not only have changed my physical state but my mental state. One is a juice that my neighbor told me about, a "superfood" juice. According to her husband, he hasn't been sick in 2 years since he starting doing this juice AND generally feels positive and energetic. So I went for it - it's a juice consisting of (raw): broccoli, parsley, plum, apple, papaya, beetroot blended all together with additional supplements of spirulina and what I use for all my exercising, glucosamine powder. No joke, I had it and felt a TOTAL difference, super good energy, positive mental attitude, and just felt great! Even a patient commented how I looked like I was "glowing." The taste isn't too bad and again, I just feel amazing!

THEN, this is around the same time of the juicing, after 5 months of sitting in my cabinet, I thought, "hmm... maybe I will put this steamer to use, try something different." Because before I left for Serbia I was eating crappy and with my limited cooking skills, my cooking was just mundane at best. Lo and behold, I discovered another fabulous thing. Steaming is not only SUPER healthy, but also the taste is like 180 degrees of what I was doing before (just on a pan). Besides veggies, I have been steaming chicken and fish, and the taste is super succulent, fresh, and just amazing! I felt sooo stupid that I had this steamer sitting for so long... what dawned on me to use it, who knows? but I am sure glad that I did. So now on top of my love of a blender, there is a love steaming. It has made cooking a wee bit enjoyable. No, I will never admit I enjoy cooking, because I don't, but anything that is easy and tastes good is great by me!!!!

Sooo... as people say, "you are what you eat" and it is really true. When I eat "bad," I feel bloated and just "okay" throughout the day. Now that I am eating super healthy, I have been in a great mood and feel amazing  both physically and mentally. I'm running with a faster pace group and I'm keeping up and in swimming moved up a lane and am keeping up... and still feel very energetic. I even am doing interval running training and didn't totally die like other people the 1st practice. I was exhausted and tired, but didn't die. This could be all mental, but I do really feel a difference.

All and all, hopefully this health kick will last because I'm really enjoying it. I'm not totally boring and on the weekends am giving myself a couple of "cheat" meals, but hey, you gotta enjoy life a little, right?

HAPPY steaming and juicing!! (let me know via email if you want the juice recipe, it's great!)

No comments:

Post a Comment