Saturday, March 16, 2013

Changes

My last few blogs were mostly about, well ALL about travel. But yes, I haven't written too much about "My Life as an Expat."

The thing about Dubai is that you have to get used to Changes. At home in the States, change doesn't happen too often. Or if there IS a change, it is usually not something very drastic or dramatic. Here, it is exactly that... you get those things on a regular basis. You drive by a busy popular store one day, and the next is gone. What? There is no "safety blanket. Having said that, as far as work, pretty much no employee rights or no justice in the workplace. I know this all sounds negative and surprising, but that is how it is. Every person will tell you that, there is dramatic racism, sexism, stereotyping, you name it. Although it is something that people tend to "get used to," sometimes it's just hard to accept something that is sooo completely unfair and unjust.

But anyway, back to Changes.

Sooo... after I got back from my North American and South American extravaganza over the xmas holidays, I went back to work expecting "business as usual," only to find out BOTH our medical and clinical director were leaving. What?! The medical director wasn't too much of a surprise because he is 1/2 in the country and 1/2 out, BUT our clinical director was more surprising because that seemed somewhat sudden. There were a ton of rumors and gossip and I won't bore you with details, but it was just another example of politics and things being unjust here. So shortly came the news that one of the doctors (American) would be both the new clinical and medical director. Hmm.... he is one of the busiest clinical and surgical doctors we have and how in the world would he handle all of that? Who knows? He's a bit... umm.. how should we say, unstable (they call him an EKG because of all the ups and downs he has), but is motivating and has a lot of ideas and much more organized than the others. So it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. In the meantime there comes in this new .... I don't even know what to call him, CEO of the Academic Medical Center we are a part but now would be kinda our new head boss? It was super confusing of who exactly was "the boss" as both of these guys were claiming they were.

So little by little, all of us employees are starting to feel .... insecure about our job security. So, as we do best in Dubai, keep quiet and do your work.

Things are quiet for a bit... the ATP Dubai Tennis rolls around and we are all busy with that. The one night of the Players Party, my colleague and I ran into the main American doctor (our supposed new "big boss") and he went on and on to talk about "there are going to be changes, but good ones" and all of this foreshadowing of "great things to come." Even though everyone at the clinic had been feeling down about everything that has happening, it was a nice positive speech. I went home that night feeling a bit more at ease and the blood pressure down a bit.

THAT NEXT MORNING, nearly 11 hours later, he sends a mass email of a resignation. Sigh. Note to self - in Dubai don't trust or believe in anyone. EVERYONE was totally shocked. There were rumors last year he was going to leave, but that quieted down because he was investing in soo much at our clinic. He is one of our busiest doctors and I wouldn't say runs the clinic, but kind of. The other doctors aren't nearly as busy as he is. Although he is a wee bit moody and... unstable, he definitely has the most potential in the clinic AND is one of our biggest referrals (from a physical therapy standpoint).

Sigh.

Now what?

So once again, rumors, gossip... everyone now all of a sudden wants to look for another job.

The "other big boss" has a meeting with all of us saying he wanted to close us down, but sees the potential and is going to give us a chance for the next 4 years. He seems positive and is very productivity driven to bring business up.

Then a week later we get this email that he is now going to be the Marketing and Business Director for the whole Academic Medical Center, which our clinic is one of many clinics. And that means we will now have to recruit yet another new clinical or medical director for our particular facility because we technically now have no one really running it.

Whoa.

Change.

Now with me.... what to do? Since I started I've had some.... let's say "conflicts" with my own manager, and with all of these recent changes, what to do? It's been stressful and I have changed my mind daily - to stay? To go? I put my C.V. out and some of the other clinics are not hiring (fully staffed) or clinics I wouldn't really professionally grow. My 2 years is in October and I feel I should wait till then, but who knows what will happen?

After zen time in Bhutan, I cleared my head and am MUCH more relaxed than I was before. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open, but focusing on my work, my  patients, and... taking one day at a time. Everything happens for a reason and I call all of this "character building" and makes me appreciate the steadiness and security of work life in America. Some say I should just go back home where I have more peace of mind and there is more of a work life balance (mind you, here I am working 50+ hours a week), but on the other hand, it feels too soon. It took me almost a year to get used to life here and after just finally decorating my apartment (bought some stuff in Bhutan), to pack it all and leave? You know, gotta think of the important things in life, ha ha. Plus, I guess my biggest concern is I've saved very LITTLE money... it's REALLY hard to save here. Life is VERY expensive and... of course my travel is too. I have some travel goals for the fall, expensive travel goals, and I'm hesitating to do anything too drastic to lose some financial security to do these travels. I have to say those are important things to me, although many would disagree.

Ahh... what to do?

Anyway, change. It's good for the soul, but bad for the blood pressure! :-)

We'll see what happens..... Life as an Expat isn't the easiest thing to do but I am still glad I made this decision to come out here to Dubai. I lived a VERY VERY comfortable life in Chicago and now all these situations are situations I may not have had in the States, BUT I am learning about myself as I power through them.

How to get through it all? Keep a positive attitude and still maintain a healthy lifestyle. I've slipped (uh oh) with my previous obsession of healthy eating and exercising and I can tell the difference in my mood and health (have gotten sick recently). Sooo, tomorrow starts a new detox (just to prep for a new age coming up for me!)!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellen, nice refreshing open blog.Just wondering what kind of salary one needs to not feel "I've saved very LITTLE money... it's REALLY hard to save here. Life is VERY expensive"? By salary i mean (Housing allowance+car allowance+ bonus+ base salary)? i hope you answer...thanks dear

    ReplyDelete