Friday, January 31, 2014

Dubai marathon weekend!!!

It so happens that, oddly, living here I rarely take pictures. So when a guest comes and take a LOT of pictures, I either steal them, he he,  or get in the mood of taking them myself! So as I have actually NOT posted too many Dubai pictures, here are some from our weekend of fun (well, running the marathon and then having fun!)

This is the view from near my apartment of the Burj Kalifa (shall I mention how's it's the world's tallest building, hehehe)

Surprisngly, just outside my apt building, literally a min walk, is this farm with camels! And how coincidental that Cafe2Go, a Cafe that specializes in camel's milk, is just next to it, ha ha. 

Index Towers - just wanted to point this out as it is just behind my building, 80 floors, and... where I practiced my stair climbing. REALLY helped during the marathon to have those glutes strong!

Ed and I by the fountains just outside Dubai Mall having our carbo-loading 2 nights before the marathon

Randomly, an old friend from my Oak Park Runners Club, Fred, just happened to be in town, so he helped us in our carbo loading :-) 

                                               
Ahh... pre-marathon packet pick-up. That's when the jitters begin (and also looking at the awfully boring route!)


My BFF fellow Dubai Creek Striders pre-marathon: Lyn-Si, Steph, Jez, and myself


Annd.... post marathon! Lyn-Si and I both got best times, Lal ran his first marathon and so a personal best. Even more glorious is, as you can see, he is quite an elite runner, but didn't train properly, and Lyn-Si and I beat him! hahahah! The picture is: Dee, Lyn-Si, Jez, myself, and Lal :-) 

Chicago represent!!! Ed and I after the marathon!

Anil, OMG, my colleague, was AWESOME and came to stretch me out after the run. Was able to walk normally after that!!

Our Dubai Creek Striders post-run social event. Just enough time to get home from the marathon, clean up, then off we went! But nice BBQ and ate a good amount of protein! 

And.... just a few hours after the social, got all dolled up for a night out in town. Still on a marathon high from my good performance! 

View from At.Mosphere Lounge at the Burj Kalifa (123rd floor!)

Drinks at At.Mosphere Lounge, Burj Kalifa

The day after the marathon - went from the World's Tallest Building to the World's Most Luxurious (7 star!) hotel - the Burj Al Arab

Burj Al Arab!

All the pillars behind me are made of gold! -The Burj Al Arab

Inside the Burj Al Arab

OMG, sounds weird and I was skeptical, but this avocado soup was to die for, delicious!!!! The Burj Al Arab sure knows how to do it right! This is at Babal Yams Restaurant, "casual" dining (but ha! Sure was expensive!)

View from our lunch table. Sweet. (Palm in the background)

Beds at the Burj Al Arab

More bling bling inside the Burj Al Arab

Hahah, a gold plated, no joke, "Caution Wet Floor". Ohhh... Dubai :-) 

More Burj Al Arab pics

And.... more inside Burj Al Arab pics - I know, I'm obsessed!

Private beach area and Cafe for Burj Al Arab guests :-) 

And.... another pic of Burj Al Arab

After 3+ months of being dairy free, had my first cappuccino. Mmmm...

Thought this was a particularly nice angle of the Burj Al Arab

My fave hotel, Jumeirah Beach Hotel

Night time view of the Burj Al Arab

And... my first wine in forever too :-)


 Ta da.... fitness center (on the left), part of Jumeirah Beach Hotel

Sooo... there you have it! Dubai at it's best. Ed called it "Vegas Meets Shaumburg." My dad called it "Vegas on Steroids." hahah. Sometimes we get spoiled living here, but sometimes it takes a guests that is awed by everything to appreciate this city I live in!!! 

As a warning, the next blog will be an overly detailed blog about the marathon, so hopefully these pictures will do the next text-savy blog! (coming soon!)










2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I was doing some research for a blog post of my own and came across yours. I have been in Dubai this week and have really enjoyed running here. I came to the club run on Wednesday but it apparently had been cancelled and I didn't see anything about it! :--) I ended up running with Ruba so it was worth the trip to the park. Anyway, I wanted to say hello because I live in the Chicago area (Bartlett) and am glad to see such great people representing my city all over the world. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete