Saturday, February 8, 2014

Sari soiree's, wadi bih, and beach!

Ahh.... finally, kind of a 'life' post!

Life here in Dubai REALLY flies by, and the last few months have been NO exception. There was of course all the marathon stuff, but even with that being over, it's been non-stop. Here are couple of random pics and comments from this past weekend and recent "life in Dubai" events....

Sari Soiree - bring back Bollywood! My friend Julia, who just recently moved to the Burj Kalifa, yes, the World's Tallest Building (54th floor), decided to throw a sari soiree, and it was super fun! I've worn different versions of a sari, but I finally (borrowed) the 9-yard sari and went through the whole wrap around to get it on. It was a beautiful sari, and....... although I normally don't admit things like this, I really liked how it looked on me! Maybe will start a new fashion statement here in Dubai? hehee.

                                                 



Wadi Bih - This is a BIG, one of the oldest in fact, expat runs in U.A.E. Last year I didn't do it because I was out of shape (just got back from USA) and TOTALLY felt left out because ALL my friends were doing it and it sounded like a LOT of fun. This ia a run in the Hajar mountains of Oman, a team of 5 completes a distance of 72km (or you can do it on your own, ha!), and you have a driver and support vehicle and transports you through the race course and while one runner is running, the support vehicle scoots off to the next destination to wait for the person, a baton is exchanged between the runners and off you go. So fast forward to this year and I REALLY want to do it, but because my friends are sooo super dooper athletic, they all decided to do a solo 50km up the same hill. And when I say "up", I mean UP! It is SUPER hilly! Looooooooooooong story short, I joined another group, and so it all worked out. It was an AWESOME atmosphere and REALLY relaxed! Soo nice to run and NOT be competitive and just have everyone support each other. It was also absolutely beautiful, the mountains and scenery was such a nice refreshing change - even saw goats and donkeys! Ha! Our "driver," took 32082302830 pictures, so below are just a couple of them, but I'll add more in due time!

                                      











Beach - So we stayed in Fujeirah, just a 15 min drive from Oman. We decided to make a weekend out of it, drive up Thursday night, do the run on Friday, hang out the rest of the day, and come back on Saturday. That was the best decision ever! I realized I hadn't been out of the country since I returned from Tanzania all the way back in August (gasp!), so it was definitely due time! It was soooooooooooooo nice to get away and we the Radisson Blu resort was beautiful! Overlooked the beach, was a reasonable price, and was sooo good to just.... relax and be out of Dubai!!!! I hope to be back and/or do a little more weekend getaways! Here are a few snaps I took:










No comments:

Post a Comment