Thursday, May 14, 2015

New Hampshire/Vermont/Chicago & Bday fun!

Wow, even I didn't realize that I was in 4 different states in a period of just over 2 weeks (including Boston, Massachusetts)! No wonder I am still recovering and need a vacation from a vacation!!


New Hampshire:
I feel I can still count this although it was technically a "transit" stop on the way from Boston to Vermont. My sister-in-law family lives "there," actually, don't even know where we were exactly, ha ha, because I was sleeping in the back seat while they were driving, and when I woke up, we were at this beautiful house in this small quaint neighborhood where it seemed "everyone knows your name," (had to quote the Cheers sitcom because was just in Boston (although just passed a branch of it, never made it there :-()). It ended up being a super lovely short trip, hung out with her mom, the beautiful and super outgoing Karen (Noelle's mom), and then her mom, the active yet fun Florence (98 years old!!!) and then Karen's hubby Grant. They were so cute because were so excited about my Boston run and weekend there, so nice to have that support! It was a beautiful sunny day and we took a little walk and the "town" consisted of a block of small mom-and-pop shops, including a little house with a mini farm that had literally fresh-from-the-sheep goat cheese! Then Karen and Grant made us a fab healthy salmon lunch, but then of course had to have some dessert :-) Then off we went that night to drive to Essex, Vermont, where my brother lives. Again, crashed the whole way!













Vermont:
If anyone has been to Vermont, most will comment on how quaint it is... and then comment something about the weather being fairly cold and miserable much of the year. Although a State I wouldn't live in (no offense to it, more so because I guess I am more of a city girl than I thought)! But it sure is beautiful, especially in the summer and fall when the weather is nice and the trees change colors, absolutely stunning. Anyhoo, spring time is a bit nippy and dull (meaning grass is grey and trees still leafless). Soo.... what would one want to do on a cold rainy day (s), especially after a marathon? NOTHING! NOOOOTTTTTHHHHHHHHHIIIIINNNNNNNGGG!!! IT WAS THE BEST!!! While G&N were working I literally SAT ON THE COUCH and snacked (no bons bons though!), watched TV, messaged a few peeps, called a few people and pretty much only got off the couch to go to the toilet and/or get water. IT WAS THE BEST!!! Really, how often in life do we have those days? Besides New Years day 2014, I don't EVER recall a day like that. Yes, of course, there have been relaxing days, but there have ALWAYS been "stuff" to do. Here I literally did nothing and loved every second of it. People know how active I am and this may come as a surprise, but I can be quite lazy!!! But finally when G and Noelle came home from work, they did drag me off the couch to go to Burlington, where we had a super nice dinner.



After the 2nd lazy day, George got home a bit early from work and a bit reluctant at first, I got my butt off the couch and we ended up having a lovely afternoon in the countryside. We did a little nice walk in this park (BTW, can I this is on Thursday, 2 days after the marathon, and surprisingly my legs felt totally fine??? Really! Darn it, maybe could have pushed harder??), and then we went to some cute little Vermont stores for their famous diary products, one of which included a cheese and then a chocolate factory. Mind you, I have not had cheese nor diary nor too much chocolate ("too much," I won't lie!) in months. And if anyone knows me, I love my cheese and when I saw this whole store just for cheese with about 20 different samples of different kinds of cheese, all that deprivation came back and I did NOT hold back and no joke, tried every single one... on top of some other cheese products. That topped with some chocolate samples next door, oh boy, I won't go into details, but my stomach was NOT happy. Thank gawd it was my brother because that car ride home was not one of the roses, ha ha ha ha ha. All and all, it was super relaxing and bonded with my bro, so that was really nice and special. We all had a nice dinner at home, I got back on the couch, and that was it! My Vermont time so quick, but also well well WELL needed!!!


Below are glam pics we took while on a drive...















Sooo much cheeeessssseeeeeeeeee :-) 


Then it was off to...

CHICAGO!!!! SWEET HOME CHICAGO!!
Ahhh... Home! Nothing like it! By this time I was already "Americanized" and because I got an earlier flight, I ended up taking the "L" train for good times sake and surprised my parents with my early arrival. That day was reserved for them, so besides a quick jaunt to hot bikram yoga, we relaxed and spent quality time at their fab apartment.

Then embarked a whirlwind week! And I am happy to say I really felt I got it all in! Of course I can't see everyone in a measly 7 days, but got in all my priority peeps and the ones that live out of state (or in state but were busy), I made phone calls. Soo.... I checked off:

-Oak Park x 2!
Haha, this is cheating a bit. When I first came home, before the marathon, when I was home for the day, traffic was bad and I made my dad take River Road to pass through Oak Park! So here I am in front of the old house and the Tesla in the pic too :-) (and literally, this is after 18 hours of travel so I look tired and awful!)


Spent a full day there and went to my fave Erik's Deli for my fave beef barley soup, got a massage by my friends wife (AWESOME):

Here is her and her hubby Brian (my OP friend) in front of her studio.


I also visited and entered my old house (sniff sniff, actually looks nice and didn't have the same nostalgia and sentiment as I did the last time, gasp!), went to my old hang out Panera Bread with my good friend, did a wee bit of shopping, saw my fave fam friends the Petani's,






and then my super awesome friend hosted a little party for me and then most of my OP friends came to that! Soooooooooo soooooooooooooooooooooo awesome and nice!!!! Then went back later in the week to meet with my old running group friends and then some OP friends again. Soooooooo nice being back there, really loved it!





And on another trip, more OPP (Oak Park People);

The sign is Happy Birthday Al, as it was her birthday that day!!



-The CITY! Chicago is really a fab city, there is no other and being there made me realize that all the more. Just love the people, the architecture, the vibe, and best of all the skyline! So when it came to decide venue to meet up with my best college friends, I hands down picked John Hancock's 95th floor. We had a dusk reservation and got best view of sunset and then night. It was soo awesome being with my college buddies and although I have been away, it was just like old times, lots of laughs and good fun.

Me and Daddio before my night out (he also had a different night out!)















Besides that, had a few times walking through the city, Michigan Avenue, State Street, and the city is so alive and I just love how it is a walking city, everyone out and about (it helped that although cool, it was nice and sunny out!). There was even the NHL (football) "Draft  Town" going on, and that was super fun to walk around and was just sooo Chicago!!! So I am glad I had time to wander around and explore the city, definitely will be back there!






-Chicago/Chicagoland area!
Below are the phatty views of my parents apartment, so beautiful!






Awesome enough, my good friends moved to the South Loop and they have a FAB view of the city, super awesome catching up with them!




I funny enough got my old old car from my mom, Toyota Camry, to be my means of transport around town. However, met up with my friend that I sold my beloved Geo Prizm too, so got to have a little spin in that. Although still running, it does seem to be on its last leg and my friend said he might have to let it go (gasp), so I'm glad I got to see it... really don't think it will survive another couple of years until I get home!



But the good 'ol Toyota is running strong and made it out to the burbs, Mt. Prospect and even Oak Brooke for more meet-ups. Also made it up North to Wriggleville area and a cool neighborhood even north of that that I met up with my old roommies (darn it, forgot where exactly I was, took the "L" there again). Chicago again is soo awesome for the many neighborhoods!



Also of course made sure to see our dear family friends, our "kumovi," which was really nice. Angie's daugther was played doctor, so cute!








Also visited my dear childhood friend Jelena,




 and my good friend Beth, who just had twin babies!





And even had "time" to visit my old college, Loyola!!






Bday!!
Lucky enough with timing, my bday happened to be during my time there, and our dear family friend, bless her, Jana who unfortunately was ill YET made this fab breakfast, was a beautiful way to start the day.





Then had a nice lunch with my good friend Char,




And then back home to go out to Greektown for dinner! Yes, that was my meal of choice... was trying to think of foods that aren't as present in Dubai. It was as always delicious and yet again, overate. As you see, most of these meet-ups involved eating and boy, my previously shrunken and thin stomach has quickly expanded to take it all. And I didn't hold back! Am going to pay for it later, but hey-ho, enjoyed indulging!!



Soo... there you have it! Looked forward to this USA trip for months, actually, as soon as I knew I got into Boston or even qualified, and am sooooooooooo sooooo sooooooooooo sooooooooo happy that not only did everything go so smoothly (marathon and all and just all the logistics) but that I got to spend quality time with family and friends, good friends. Friends that I've known forever and that "know me." It sounds odd, but being an expat is very different. You have friends, and I am so grateful to have great friends here in Dubai, but there is nothing like friends you've known for 10-20 years. I felt I picked up where I left off and never felt awkward or uncomfortable, something I didn't know if I would feel. And after being "home" and then going to my new "home".... I felt fairly neutral. Of course had some tears saying by to the parents (darn it, why is it NOT any easier?), but didn't feel dreadfully sad leaving nor anxiously excited to get back. Just felt... neutral! Expat life I really do feel like you lead 2 different lives. People at home don't understand your life here and then people here don't understand your life there. So what to do except live your life! Again, if anything this trip made me realize how lucky I am just to have 2 different worlds where people care for me. When I came back soo many people were sooo happy and excited for me (for the marathon), it was really touching.

Well, a couple of days of post travel blues, and now off to get back to some sort of routine!! :-)


1 comment: