Thursday, March 31, 2016

Two Oceans 56km, Part 3/3: Cape Town!

WARNING: THESE 3 BLOGS ABOUT TWO OCEANS ARE SOLELY GOING TO BE ABOUT THE 56KM WITH INCESSANT DETAILS AND SCRUTINY! THIS WILL BE A GREAT REMINDER AND REFERENCE TO ME, BUT WILL BE UNGODLY BORING FOR ANYONE ELSE! TEXT SUPER BORING, BUT ADDED SOME PICS FOR ENTERTAINMENT! :-) 


It sounds a bit.... well, I admit, snobby, that I try to not and repeat countries. When the whole Two Oceans came up, I admit I did think, "to go back there... again?" I went to Cape Town (and lots of South Africa!) during the 2010 World Cup. Had a FAB-U-LOUS experience! Even went to Cape Town twice as the first time was during the World Cup and it was soo hectic and chaotic and the winds were too bad so everything was closed. Then after my friends went their separate ways, I came back and did all the touristy stuff, like Table Mountain, Rubben Island (where Nelson Mandela's jail was), and lots of things in between. BUT going back to a country, you can reminisce about it and recall some old pics like I did:





And of course being familiar with it and doing most of the "big" touristy things, like climbing Table Mountain, dune and dusted:



It makes for a MUCH more relaxing trip to not feel the pressure of seeing and doing as much as you can. And of course going back to a place like Cape Town, well, I actually could go back again and again, because it is just wonderful! And here we are again!




To start with, my running club as, as we now refer to them, DCS (the name of our club, Dubai Creek Striders) parents. We have this amazing, super dooper, AWESOME couple that not are not only the club president (and member) BUT pretty much organized the whole trip for us. They used to live here, practically have residency, AND Mags has run it a few times herself, and her hubby Brian is in the hotel biz so he has these amazing connections. So I would have to say this was almost the easiest trip I have ever been on. I think the only thing I did on my own is get the flight tickets. He organized the hotel, she organized the pre-race dinner, post-race dinner, and a few activities in between. It was just a matter of responding and saying "yes" or "no" to them. What else can you ask for???


Our hotel was Southern Sun Waterfront Hotel, which was conveniently literally a 2 min walk to the Convention Center where the Expo was - FAB! THEN the hotel was awesome enough to have shuttles to/from the waterfront, which was a 20ish min walk OR 5 min shuttle ride (as much as I love S.A., it is a bit dangerous and we were told not to walk around at night). It was sooo convenient and perfect! Having said that, I think I went to the Waterfront about.... 5 times? Haha. We went the first night, where I had a fab burger (hehe), the 2nd day for a late lunch, the day before the race for the Friendship Run and of course lunch later. Then the last night for dinner. Before the run was mostly going to Italian places with carbs, but after was all about Steaks!!!

Food highlights:
Beluga restaurant: Known as one of the better restaurants in Cape Town, had a nice set menu and great food. Great, but not super dooper excellent... I think so because of the Easter/Race weekend it was jam packed.
Gibson's at the Waterfront: Now we are talking! I actually haven't had steak... or wine for that matter, for AGES! So not only were both absolutely delicious, buuuuuuuuuuuut amazingly cheap!!! I still can't get over how cheap it is, I would almost go as far as saying that Dubai is 3-5x more expensive. Crazy!!!





Day trip! Cape Point:
Soo... my super friends Lyn-Si and Duncan had planned a day trip to Cape Point, the tip of S. Africa. The other peeps had planned to go for Wine Tasting, and knowing that not only am I not a big drinker but also that I don't like being cooped inside, they were super nice to invite me along. So we instead had a fab little day-trip to the Cape Point, amazing views and fab fresh air! Also nice to spend some QT with them (which .... lo and behold, they got engaged the next day, so even extra time to have QT with them!).







People:
I know it sounds a bit lame-o to say "the people are so nice!" Because it just sounds so cliche and .... I guess one can say most people are nice (I hope?). BUT really, being there again reminded me on my last trip and how much I enjoyed it because of the people. From the Expo when I swear at least 5 if not more people just started chatting to us... just to chat with us! Maybe they heard our accents and were curious, but I think just just super friendly! It was fun as hearing that we were first timers, they all offered some tid bits of little hints about the course and the run. Most was "don't take it out too fast and... ENJOY!" Even on the course itself WHILE running (which I looooooooooved), I had more than several people chat with me or just say things like "looking good Dubai!" Soo awesome! THEN, well, this still shocks me, in a nice way. My friend and I went to dinner at Gibson's the night before we were leaving for the steak and wine (hehe) and it started raining a bit. So we scooted in towards the umbrella just as the table next to us scooted in. So basically we ended up sitting right next to each other and of course started chatting. Ended up being super nice blokes and openly gay, so for us ladies (although my friend is married), makes it a bit more relaxing. We had a lovely conversation about anything and everything, and with the weather so nice and fresh (rain had stopped), great food, and great company, just was having a wonderful evening. So when the evening was winding down, we said goodbye and it seemed that they left rather quickly. Didn't even think twice about it. Then when we flagged down the waiter to pay, we heard the words that I almost had to sit down for, "the gentleman paid for you, you don't need to pay." WHAT!??!!?! I couldn't believe it! OMG, how nice is that?!! We tried to flag them down but they were already long gone by then and we think we got a wave from afar. SOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice and.... that sooooooooo sooooooooo rarely happens! Also so nice that it was an unassuming gesture, them just being nice. Wow!

The 5 nights and 4 full days went by in a jiff, loved it and soo glad that everything just .... worked out! NOT only with the success of the run, but being in a beautiful environment, amazing people, WONDERFUL food and drink, what else can you ask for?!!!

So now what?

Well, relive the moments

Wear the shirt endlessly and hope people ask you about it

Drink Two Oceans wine

Think about next year? Uh oh!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment