Sunday, January 1, 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Well, looking back on my blogs is a good way to see how the year went, quite eventful! Already have had a great start to the year and I hope it continues!

Below is a group email I wrote to family and friends of a little synopsis of the year. Let's welcome 2017!! However, added bonus of fireworks pics here and already some new 2017 pics!!!


Dear friends and family,

HAPPY NEW YEAR from Dubai!!



Wow! What a year 2016 was, phew! As with most New Years, we look forward to the year to come, but I know I also use this time to reflect on the year that just passed. For one thing, 2016 marked my 5th year in Dubai! Crazy how quickly time has passed. 

Another exciting 2016 event was that once again, I was fortunate to work my 5th year with the ATP Dubai Tennis and personally met and worked on the winner and runner-up, Stan Warwinka and Marcus Baghdatis! Always an exciting experience. Shortly thereafter went off to Cape Town, South Africa to participate in my very first ultra marathon, a 56km (35 miles) run! It is a beautiful course and although tough with all the hills (with consideration that I live in desert and it is all flat here!), had a great experience and loved the atmosphere and finished just under 5 and a half hours (yes, of non-stop running!).

South Africa was the start of a fulfilling travel year! In April I finally went to a long awaited destination, Japan! It was an action packed trip (visited Osaka, Koyasan, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Hakone, Tokyo, and Nikko) in just about two weeks over the tail end of cherry blossom season. Really enjoyed the serenity of the country, beauty, and of course the organization! Then in early July met my family in Europe and had a loving time with them and of course enjoyed the culinary delights (and atmosphere and beaches!) of Sicily and also visited dear family and friends in Serbia. It took quite some time to lose some of that summer time added weight after all that indulgence (!!), but finally worked it off with a hiking trip to Krygystan, which was stunning and loved the beautiful pristine lakes, although quite a tough trek! Finally the year topped off with a trip to Singapore followed by another country I've been longing to go since it was 'closed' previously when I was traveling South East Asia, Myanmar! It is a newly developing country with so much to offer, I loved cycling around the temples and also exploring by bike. Being in Dubai, I REALLY appreciate nature all the more! 

Professionally I am still at the same job I have been these last 5 years, which I love! I work with great people and love the diversity (and flexibility to do all this traveling. U.A.E. has double public holidays than the States, so that certainly helps!). I took some great continuing education courses this year and look forward to more in 2017. 

Hope you are doing well and really love hearing from you! Please send updates and pictures! As my time is winding down here, visitors are most welcome.

Wishing you a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2017! 


Be in touch!

Ellen





Have to admit, Dubai sure puts on a show! And the BEST part it, I walked a whopping 3 minutes to my friend's place that lives across the street from me (I think at 11:30pm? haha) and got this amazing display! 

Here are a few of my fave 2017 meme's so far:







Sooo.... against normal tradition of doing absolutely nothing on New Years Day, gasp, I decided it would be nice to start of the New Year doing something... healthy! I wasn't the only one so had a nice easy breezy 10km run with my running chums and then ruined the attempt with some coffee/tea and treats after, ha ha.




Here's to a healthy and happy start to 2017!!! Happy New Year all!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment