Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year!!! 2018!!!

Wow! 2018!!

Woooooooww!! Realized have spent quite a few years in Dubai for NY, all celebrating around Burj Khalifa:

2011/2012
(2012/2013 was in Chicago)
2013/2014
2014/2015
2015/2016
2016/2017
And now.... 2017/2018!!! My 6th!!! AND, all of them had spectacular fireworks on display.... except this one! Wah wah (at the Burj Khalifa at least, thank gawd the Burj Al Arab and Festival City had them, lol) Some say cost-cutting, some say being more environmentally friendly, some saying doing something new with another record of having the biggest laser light show, but all I have to say is.... it's just not the same as fireworks!!!! To be fair though, the front side of the Burj had the majority of the light show, shame that it wasn't a 360 light show, but later I watched it on youtube (which is funny because was there) and it was a bit more grand than what we saw!





Ah well.

BUT the best part was was super convenient, walked over to my friends, had a lovely low key delicious dinner with some friends (Lyns and Duncan, who just had a baby girl Ru, hosted, and then their friends Louise and Braydon), walked back just after 12:30pm and was in bed by 1am to then wake up at 6am for the traditional NY run!! Have to say was a bit happy/sad with all this.... happy to spend NY in lovely Dubai with great friends and people, but also a bit sad as this is my last NY in Dubai and... will really miss it!!




The New Years day (7am!) run:










Well, every year I do a bit of a Year in Review email, so here it is below! But darn it, realized just now forgot to put my skydive adventure, so I added it below, hehe :-)

Dear friends and family,

Happy New Year from Dubai!!! I hope all had a great start to the year and have a wonderful year ahead.

Wow! Another year has passed, my 6th New Years in Dubai! Although Dubai loves to flaunt with its extraordinary display of fireworks from the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, this year they did something different, a laser light show!!! Was fun to watch, but I think we all missed the big bang of fireworks!

This past 2017 was REALLY amazing and if 2018 is anything like it, I am one lucky lady! I continue to be forever grateful and thankful to everyone that has supported me and been here with me through these journies, thank you! 

The year started with some athletic feats in January with 2 back to back marathons, Mumbai Marathon and Dubai Marathon, literally 5 days apart! I somehow managed to get a respectable time just one minute from one another, with no injuries or niggles, so that was most important to me. February brought my 6th ATP Tennis Tournament and finally topped off my top 10 ATP player with meeting Andy Murrey! March took me back to beautiful Cape Town, South Africa for the second time for the Two Oceans Ultra marathon of 56km (35 miles), where I had a GREAT race and bettered my time from last year by over 15 minutes, yay! Then June came along and stepped up my game and successfully completed the one and only Comrades Ultra Marathon in Durban, South Africa, the "up" run, of a near 90km run (55 miles) in just over 10 hours (yes, of continuous running!). Thankfully, am most appreciative that was healthy throughout, phew!

Travel wise, also had an eventful year! Besides India and South Africa for running events, had an amazing relaxing safari in Botswana after the first South Africa trip, a beautiful country and was nice to put my feet up a bit! I also made a quick trip home to Chicago to surprise my dear mom for her birthday. As we are a bit deprived of nature here, I am making an active effort to do some trips in countries close to Dubai, and because I love hiking, I visited one of the remaining "Stan" countries I haven't yet, Kazakhstan! It was really beautiful and loved how authentic it is. It was also a prep for something I've always wanted to do, Everest Base Camp in Nepal! I successfully reached the base camp alongside with a few fun friends of mine, we had lots of lots of fun times and memories and it really is an experience of a lifetime. Finally, topped off the year with something I hadn't done in awhile, a beach trip! In December spent a few days in Seychelles where did scuba diving and had a bit of rest (finally!).

Professionally, my 6th year at the same company has come and gone, I really love the work and people, so have kept on (and also can't complain about the ample holiday days we get in addition to a dozen public holidays!). I also wrapped up a 2-year online graduate program and completed a Masters in Healthcare Administration (MHA) to open up some doors for my return to USA. Which.... is happening sooner than later! Stay tuned for updates, but this time next year, my New Year wishes most likely will not be from Dubai (shh... haven't told work yet or made this public)!!

As always, I love hearing updates from others and REALLY appreciate being in touch! 

Wishing all a healthy and prosperous 2018!!!

Be in touch!
Ellen

P.s. Below pictures are: Me with Andy Murrey, ATP world #1 (at the time), a beautiful leopard posing for us in Botswana, my fab Dubai running friends after our 55-mile run in Durban, South Africa, me on the self-supported hiking trip near Almaty, Kazakhstan, at Everest Base Camp in Nepal, and finally, me not in running or trekking clothes, haha, at the beach in gorgeous Seychelles! 













And finally,  as a blog bonus, to summarize what was 2017 and wishes for 2018... lots of fun and adventure!!!!


Best wishes to all for 2018!!! 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment