Sunday, February 3, 2019

Post-Dubai/Pre-USA TravEllen Update, Part 1

WOW.

Here it is February 2019, and... whoops, I'm shamefully NOW finishing up the last few posts I never got to finish. Well, thankfully had time to do it as I don't like to leave these unfinished and I KNEW some time from now I would look back and forget these details and definitely NOT have the time to finish it, and so made a big push do to it. Yay!!!

Where in the World is Ellen?

What have I been up to since that last blog when I wrapped up with that epic Comrades run?

Well, pretty much all over the place!

My Update, Part 1

June 2018 to September 2018:

Countries visited: South Africa, Senegal, Russia, U.K. (Northern Ireland, Scotland, England), Serbia, Singapore (more in transit) and Borneo, Malaysia.... and a few stop through's in Dubai (literally just changing suitcases and hardly visited anyone nor told anyone i was there)
# of flights: 22

Here is a brief summary I have written:


It all started with a “wee” 90km run from Pietermeritzburg to Durban, South Africa, “The Ultimate Human Race,” Comrades! Now nearly 6 months later, finally have been in one place long enough to put together this snapshot of my travels adventures from June to September.

It has been an incredible journey so far that has given me faith in the goodness of people from all walks of life and made me appreciate how soulful it is to be exploring, learning, and absorbing different places and cultures.

And so it began... Following an action packed successful Comrades run with ALL of my Dubai friends finishing (yay Cookoos!), came gorgeous hiking through the beautiful mountain ranges of South Africa with my Chicago friends (Blyde River Canyon, Swaziland, Cape Town). Further Africa travel led me to Senegal, a country with fascinating history and vibrant music scene.

Activity wasn’t too far away after that because then found myself in Moscow for a glimpse of World Cup fever while on my way to the most Eastern part of Russia, Kamchatka! Known for it’s ample number of volcanoes, of which of course I had to climb the top 4 (amazing!), and bears! Kuril Lake did not disappoint with the heaps of bears and got incredibly lucky with gorgeous weather.

I continued European travels and visited dear family and friends in Serbia followed by AWESOME reunions with Dubai friends in the U.K. - Northern Ireland, Glasgow, and London. My super hiking team from Everest Base Camp last year joined together to semi-complete the 3 Peaks 24-hour challenge, only 2.2/3 peaks done because of the heavy rains that flooded the Scafell River and we couldn't cross. Otherwise, we had a blast!

Then it was off to a truly wonderful place that is by far a MAJOR highlight of my travel life - Borneo, Malaysia! Started with my 1st 30km trail run with super Dubai friends and athletes in Kota Kinabalu, then conquered the peak of Mt. Kinabalu (4095m) while attempting my first semi-rock climbing experience on the way down (via Ferrata), followed by full on wildlife exploration in the jungles of Kinabatangan and sanctuaries of Sepilok and Sandakan - orangutans, gibbons, proboscis monkeys, macaques, and birds galore! Borneo's incredible water life was called my name with it's rightly named best scuba diving locations in the world - did a whopping 16 scuba dives in 4.5 days in the stunning Mabul and oceanic island of Sipidan, too incredible for words and one of the best scuba diving I’ve done to date - shout out to the amazing Scuba Junkies! There I participated in an Ocean Clean-Up, and really opened my eyes to my passion for nature and environment and DOING something about it (boo hoo to the damage of plastic in the water and on land). Really loved the experience!
Wow, huh?


Well, as can be imagined, I literally have THOUSANDS of pics, THOUSANDS, buuut will post a VERY VERY shortened version of some of my faves:

South Africa: Blyde River Canyon, Swaziland, Cape Town







Senegal:









Russia (Moscow and Kamchatka!)










U.K.

Reunion to watch these lovely Irish ladies swim the North Channel, Ruth and Helen both live in Dubai, so a happy reunion! 

Northern Ireland with DCS fellow Comrades Cookoo Laura ("home" for the summer)!




Glasgow with super DCS friend Katheryn, she left Dubai 2 years ago and had to visit her!

More familiar faces: Steph and Jez, also left Dubai ... more than a year ago and are now living near London.


And... another former Dubai friend, know her from swimming and running, she moved back to London some years ago as well


 Our 3 Peaks Challenge group - Everest Base Camp reunion + Scott, Seb's friend!

Loved all these meet-ups: Jess, Scott (new and super friendly), Seb, Heather and super Liz (DCS)


Serbia

My fave fam friends, Vesna and Slobo!


Borneo, Malaysia - Kota Kinabalu, Mt. Kinabalu, Kinabatangan, Sepilok, Sandakan, Mabul (and Sipadan)


My first ultra with... super DCS runner Liz D! She came out for the run, and did amazing!!



AWESOME reunion with Eckman and Aida, they are also former DCS runners who now live in Singapore, and of course Liz who moved back to England a year or so ago  


DCS reunion! Claire and James, SUPER athletes and DCS runners (who sadly left Dubai as well a few months after me), and I guess all of us have moved on! Aida and Eckman in Singapore and Liz in U.K. And me - a nomad! Lol 

 Mt. Kinabalu - Borneo






Kinabatangan - Borneo



 Sepilok, Borneo






Mabul (and Sipadan)
















My first Beach Clean-up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment