Monday, February 13, 2012

My Life in a Car

Life is all about transitions: School <-> work, unemployed <-> employed, single <-> involved, no kids -> kids, moving to new places, etc.

Here is a BIG transition for me:

Going from a 4-bedroom house in a suburb of Chicago (this is me the day I was leaving for Dubai, sniff sniff):


To....


No joke, I am officially living out of my car (which I just bought 2 days ago, BTW).

The pro's:

  • Everything is right there, all I have to do is shuffle a little and I find what I am looking for. 
  • Everything is literally riding along with me. No forgetting stuff because it is all there =>
  • Convenience!
The con's:
  • I'm living out of my car.
To recap, I was comfortably, almost too comfortably, staying with these family friends. Suddenly last week, my friend's mom had to make an urgent trip here... and it was my time to go. I stuffed my car with all the things that I had at their place to make room for the mom, and off I went. As per my previous blogs, I DO have a place, but it won't be ready for a week or so. Eek. So now I am pretty much bouncing around friends places, literally couchsurfing, with a traveling suitcase of things I need... and a car full of my crap. 

On one hand, I'm actually fairly impressed with myself that I accomplished a longtime goal: Downsizing. I was spoiled with my life in Chicago because I had this big o house almost to myself, so I liberally stuffed it with .... "stuff." I always had the idea of getting rid of things, but then again, I had the space for it, so nothing ever happened. After a summer of backbreaking (literally and figuratively) massive work of selling stuff, garage sales, giving away stuff, endless cleaning and detoxing of things, I left to Dubai with a couple of suitcases and one room of storage in Chicago. In the almost 4 months I've been here, I'm happy to say I don't have any more than what I came with. I purposely didn't buy anything because I didn't have a place to put it. That has been a great fortune because everything has fit in a car!

Ahh..... how life is unpredictable and how things change.

Lesson #21: One word: Downsize!




No comments:

Post a Comment