Saturday, February 11, 2012

When It Rains, It Pours

Yes, it may sound odd to talk about rain and pouring rain in a desert, even more so that I haven't seen rain since I've been here, buuuut it was the only way to describe the last couple of weeks for me. I have to admit for some reason, it was the hardest for me since I've been here. It was a combination of the time that was passing and I felt like I wasn't going anywhere... mostly talking about finding an apartment. Then it was waiting for a co-worker to "be ready" to sell me his car, and blah blah blah, a bunch of things were adding up.

So after I got back from Germany, I finally picked up my game with the apt hunting. BUT, it wasn't as straightforward as I would have hoped. One is that I was confused about what I 'really' wanted - location, cost, amenities. I probably made the mistake of pretty much talking to every patient about it... and hence receiving like 203843208324 different versions of "what's best." One would said, "hey, check out this area! It's great!" And then the next would be like, "bah! No way! Don't go there at all!" So of course the best way to see it is by going to check out yourself, right? Well, I was a little set back again not having a car, but managed to mosey around a little bit. The problem I faced though is that I have been TOTALLY spoiled to where I have stayed the last couple of months, Jumeirah area, which is right ON the beach (sweeet!) and then the heart of downtown (niiiiiice!). The "cheaper" areas are the areas that are a little more crowded, umm.... let's just say a little more 'diverse,' and I dunno.. I kept on finding things that I didn't like (again, having 'the best' to compare it to). Then I was toying with the idea of having a roommate, you know, split costs = more savings = more money for fun stuff like traveling.

So needless to say, I was TOTALLY running around in circles and totally getting more and more confused and as I am doing all these big decisions by myself, it made it harder to pretty much decide anything! :-)

THEN, at the time it didn't seem like it, but it later became a blessing in disguise. The friends I was staying with was having family coming in... like 3 days later, and basically that meant I had to evacuate. ASAP. So I went from a period of confusion and frustration to.... utter panic. I was officially going to be homeless in like .2 days. Eek!!! Being that I know .0002 people (literally, like a handful), these aren't BFF's that I feel totally comfortable being like "Uhhh.... sooo... do you mind if I crash at your place?" Long story short, a doctor at our clinic just happened to be leaving out of town for almost a week, and I kinda, in a roundabout way, worked my magic to stay at his plae while he was gone. Fortunately, he's super cool and actually alluded to me staying there himself. So I have SOME sort of cushion... until later this week. Then it's a matter of befriended the few friends I have to stay with them. LUCKILY, Dubai is a place where things change almost immediately and almost EVERYONE either had gone through a sudden urgent crisis or knows or has helped someone who has. So no one really thought my situation was a big deal, phew!

Why is it a blessing in disguise? It REALLY REALLY picked up my apartment hunting game. If this hasn't happened, who knows how much longer I would have stalled? Loooooong story short, I had seen one complex that I REALLY REALLY REALLY liked.... buuuut it was a little over the budget I had initially planned. Again, I was still in that confusion state of what's best for me. So I pow-wow'd apt hunting and for some reason, I was always comparing what I was seeing to this nice initial complex. Then, after like my 32048302480348023480923480238th panic attack of the week (literally, again, this week was probably the hardest since I've been here), I had a good conversation with my parents and some good friends and they made me realize my goals and values of coming to Dubai, anddddddd... I TOOK IT! When I went back and saw it again, I just had that feeling, "this is it!" When I first saw it I had a good vibe and intuition about it, and then when I saw it again, I was like "what was I thinking? This is sooooo it!" Yes, it is a little over the budget I set for myself, BUT EVERYTHING else is great - the location (close to work, close to downtown, close to Dubai Mall), the amenities (a fab-u-lous pool, good work-out facility, tennis courts, squash courts), the community (it has a grocery store, coffee shops, restaurants in the complex), and the actual apt itself has sunlight, big window, a little balcony, decent size... and I just felt comfy there. I felt good that I at least did see some other stuff, but sometimes you just have to go with your instincts and what feels right. And this is it!

After that was done, I felt literally like a stone was lifted off my shoulder. I didn't realize how much it was literally weighing me down, but I got through it! The ONLY little setback is that they said that technically my contract starts March 1st because they have to do some maintenance on it, BUT "most likely" will be available a little earlier, so I have to couchsurf a little bit, which is going to be a hassle, but at least there is an end in sight! Phew!

Here are some pics of Al Marooj Complex and my new 1-bedroom apt:













And this is how I feel now... after feeling the opposite these last couple of weeks! hahahahah!

No comments:

Post a Comment