Tuesday, April 17, 2012

6 months down, ??? to go

Da da dum, I didn't think I would make it, buuuuut here it is..... I'VE OFFICIALLY BEEN AN EXPAT FOR 6 MONTHS!!! And actually, I just realized that I 1st came to Dubai almost exactly a YEAR ago as a tourist. Little did I know at the time that I would be LIVING here... also makes me appreciate those lazy days where I was lounging at the beach/pool relaxing. Ahh... the good 'ol life! Now I'm a working girl!

I actually just skimmed my blog all the way from the beginning, and as I wanted to do this blog in the first place kind of like a little diary to my life here, it definitely is a trip down memory lane! The things that I was concerned about seems so forever ago!

To recap these last 6 months, nothing like categorizing!

Logistics:
As many people ... actually, almost ALL expats have told me, the logistics of getting settled here is somewhat of a nightmare. Things aren't clear, they take forever, and ... have I mentioned that nothing is clear or straightforward? So I would say the 1st 3 months were the most challenging primarily for that reason! Now that almost ALL things are settled, things are much much better and life is much .... easier :-)

Work:
Besides a new life experience, I came here to 'expand my horizon' with my practice, my skills, my education, and mostly interacting with people in my profession from all over the world. That's obviously something that doesn't happen overnight and that is something I need to work on and be more proactive with. I would like to take more time and interact with other clinics, physios, and that will take some time! The good thing is here in Dubai, I feel I finally have time to look up things that previously I was seemingly too busy to do. I have had to learn a lot about dealing with different cultures and backgrounds and that has been the biggest change with how I practice. At my clinic we probably see about 20%, if not less, local Arabs, and the rest are Expats/Westerners. Which is fortunate because Arabs are.... umm.... a little more challenging to work with (not always). Westerners can be in their own way, but it's just interesting. I have good interactions with the docs I am working with and I feel they are recognizing me more with my work. Of course like any work environment, it's not always a ray of sunshine, there is mismanagement and disorganization, but hey.... I did come here for a learning experience! :-) I DO feel I work a lot, 50+ hours a week and now it is more of WORK than work&life balance, but that will hopefully change. Which, speaking of... :

Life:
I realize I've stopped with my little Lessons I started with, but here is an important one:

Lesson #22: It takes 6 months to a year to get used to living in a new environment.

I think before I came I was looking at it almost as travel experiencing, like "I'll get there, I'll find my way and everything will be fine!" But UNLIKE traveling where you are always moving and when something sucks you can go, if you like it, you stay. HERE... I'm obviously 'stuck' here :-) I've really felt FINALLY these last couple of weeks that I've feel "settled." As I've gone on and on about, finding a place to live and be on my own was HUGE, again, maybe a lot more than I thought.

On another note with my Life here.... I've cleaned up my 'bad' eating and darn it, I was a victim of the Dubai Stone,

Lesson #23: Once moving to Dubai, you have a VERY good possibility of getting the Dubai Stone - basically gaining 5-10 lbs. Ouch.

Why is that? The culture of the people is to eat late... and a lot. There are a TON of brunches, buffets... .and opportunities for excessive eating. At home in the States I feel it's very in and out, you come, sit, order, and you're out in an hour or so. Here.... dinners take hours.. and more hours. It is more of the social experience, starting with several "mezzi" (little appetizers), then dinner... then shisha (the watered tobacco), then dessert, the more shisha, and.... eating lasts as long as the conversation, which again is hours. And have I mentioned again that meals and dinners typically start very late? :-) The other thing is, and I haven't done this yet, but here they have delivery for EVERYTHING (like Ace Hardware delivers for free, the pharmacy, obviously snack/food places), so it is very convenient to just eat, eat, and eat!

Anyway, I got rid of my stone, fortunately, but NOW.... and this is my goal for the next 6 months, I need to pick up my exercising (which, as most people know me, I'm usually fairly active) and also get more of a work/LIFE balance.... meeting people, going out, getting more involved in the many, many things Dubai has to offer, especially with fitness/exercise activities.

So here is a lesson (to myself):

Lesson #24: Here in Dubai it is a bit of a workaholic atmosphere.... still try to ENJOY and take time for FUN!

Thanks to all my family and friends for supporting me through these tough 6 months in a new country! I'm lucky and fortunate to have you in my life!!!

6 months down, ???? to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment