Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Top 10 Things I Never Travel Without

This is what happens when I am at a mega airport like Incheon, S. Korea and the wi-fi is super fast and everywhere, I write random blogs! As the other 2 took quite awhile for pics to download and writing, this seems quite easy breezy. 

I guess I can say with 7 continents and over 75 countries under my belt, I will go ahead and call myself an experienced traveller. Also old and new travelers are always asking me little tricks and tips about traveling. 

So here goes, in no particular order, my Top 10 Things I Never Travel Without:

1. Ear plugs and an eye mask. Must! Must! Must! Along with that will be cheeky and add anti-bacterial gel and tissues, those are all givens!!

2. Melatonin - herbal so doesn't leave you groggy and also makes you sleepy enough to fall asleep on plane or bus or train rides. It's great because it doesn't knock you out like a sleeping pill so that you are still somewhat conscious and be woken up if needed.

3. Multi-vitamin and Probiotic - the latter being a Must for exotic travel as it keeps your stomach healthy. I look for a Total probiotic with bowel flora, Acidophilus, Bulgaricus with billion count. I may have an iron stomach but knock on wood stomach issues have been a few and far between on international travel! 

4. Dryer sheets - Sounds funny but I put this between clothes and it keeps my well traveled clothes smelling fresh! Alongside that, Fabreeze, small spray that is miraculous when you don't have access to laundry or are on the go and want to give your clothes a bit of "freshening" up. 

5. Ziplock bags (gallon and sandwich bag)- Ahhh, comes so in handy! Besides the obvious of storing liquids and avoiding spilling, I sometimes compartmentalize clothes in them and also handy for organizing and protecting things from rain/wet and other random conditions. It comes in handy for all sorts of things. 

6. Scarf/shawl: This is quite multi-purpose! The usual keeping your neck warm and can spice up a dull travel outfit, but I've also used it for somewhat of a blanket, covering shoulders for more conservative places, back support (folding it up), neck support (resting head on it on planes, buses), head covering (for Muslim countries), face covering (napping on public transportation. I'm a bit shy with my sleeping and my mouth hanging open so have used it to make a loose covering over my face and can sleep peacefully with mouth hanging open and all). Also have used it as a beach if have nothing else, as a wrap around skirt, and somewhat of a towel. See? So multi-purpose!

7. Inflatable pillow - Takes up hardly any space or weight, and because of my back issues, have used it for back support for long transport rides, a pillow, and also as a little pillow spacer between my knees when I am sleeping. 

8. Smart wool/icebreaker clothes - Ohhh, New Zealand, how I love thee. Besides Manuka honey, this is my next best fave thing and a travel godsend. What is better than clothing that keeps you warm yet also is good for hot weather as it absorbs moisture (sweat). And, I haven't gotten to the best part yet, it doesn't smell!! Demo was last year's Stan's trip and "The family," (parents and their teen), whom had been to more than 95 countries, wore the same clothes day in day out. I thought that they had the same colors but were changing shirts. Oh no. Their clothes were years old yet, and yes, I admit I did sniff them with their permission, when we had days of no access to water and even bathing, still smelled ... Fine! I had a few things of smart wool/icebreaker, but realized why I had held back, it is so so sooo expensive! It's because the wool is so fine, but darn it is it worth it. Smart wool is known to be a bit itchy (I'm fine with it) and icebreaker is a wee bit more soft. Both are fab and worth the investment. Really, clothes last forever and have I mentioned they don't smell? :-) If from USA, www.sierratradingpost.com is the way to go, fab discounts!

9. Fit flops - this used to be flip flops, but now fit flops. Yes they are chunky but great for endless walking. For anyone with knee or spine issues, this is the way to go. So supportive and comfy. I've walked endless days and nights with these things and felt great! They are different types, but as far as I can tell, they are okay with getting wet and say using as a flip flip in the shower. Takes up some luggage space, but for the seasoned traveler, we know having comfort on the road goes a lot further! 

10. Earphones/music - Ahhh... When you go hours traveling, this blocks out noise, gets you in certain moods (i.e. Beach time I like reggae or upbeat music, getting ready to go out and about, again upbeat music, reading will have more calm music like classical or mellow, etc). With a smartphone, can also be educational (lately have been getting into podcasts and TedTalks).

No comments:

Post a Comment