Thursday, December 31, 2015

December in Dubai

In a perfect world, I would live in Chicago say May to September and then Dubai from October to April. Ahh... to have it all!! Well, as summers here (and more or less fall) are dreadfully slow (although I do admit I kinda like it like that because feel get can sorted with other life things and of course there is always travel), the winter always just flies by. Like summer in Chicago, we all look forward to winter here because the weather is perfect, there are lots of outdoor activities (or just sitting outside) and it is just more... alive! Winter time here also marks what I call "winter Ellen," when I lose the 5-10 lbs I've gained over the summer (sadly, it is true!) and am in tip top shape with fitness and also eating miraculously gets better.

Anyhoo, this December was especially busy because had back to back visitors, again peak training, work, work commitments and events, and now keeping up with grad school (which although am committing and am super interested, have lost a bit of a zest and have resorted to pow wow's right before the deadlines are due. Just no time now during the week!). As they say, when it rains it pours.

A travel friend I met years ago was here for a week. It happened to be cooler than usual the first few days she was here, in the upper 50's and even 60's (gasp!!!), and here is me at the beach while she was more than happy to be in her swimsuit (she is from Sweden):











Realized it's also been awhile since I've posted "Dubai" pics, so here are some that she took (and I "borrowed" from her (but was there):



Yes, oddly every Xmas gets more and more out here. Mall of Emirates particularly does a fab Xmas decoration!

An Arabic (Lebanese) dish - Lahem Ajem

Then she left, literally had less than 24 hour turnover, including a brief lunch visit from one of my Dad's Serbian friends that was passing through Dubai, before my BFF from Chicago came. Again, below are the pics are "borrowed" from him (why do I become so lazy with taking pictures in my "home" city? Hmm). 



Below: At Emirates Palace, Abu Dhabi, where we had gold flaked cappuccino's (for $16 each, ha ha. One of those "Only in Dubai things" (or Abu Dhabi for that matter!)). 



Below: Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi:




Below: At the Beach! Jumeirah 3, Sunset Mall





At the Marina, "new" Dubai

High life of Dubai - Atmosphere Lounge at the Burj Kalifa, 123rd floor



Above and Below: Landmarks of Dubai! Burj Al Arab and Burj Kalifa! 

                                               

Then, on top of that, as you see Hols were around this time, and can't miss the best run of the year, my running's club's annual Xmas run!! This year was a little grab bag and also mince pies and tea and coffee!











Me and what I call "Team India" running friends, ha ha

For Xmas, spent with my former co-worker and her family, super nice of them to invite me and it was a lovely feast!!






Okay fine, the last one was me more or less pretending I was helping, ha ha ha.

And just thought this was funny, he he:



So there you have it! Finale month of 2015!!!! Next up, 2015 Year in Review and Burj Kalifa fireworks to welcome 2016!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment