Thursday, December 3, 2015

Fall in Dubai

Fall is always my fave time if year. In Chicago, summer starts to wind down and the trees start to change their color and best if all, the temps are in the 60's and 70's F, perfect for outdoor sports and activities. Here in Dubai the heat and humidity drastically decline from well into the 100's to the 80's. Unfortunately, no changing of the tree colors as their are no trees, haha, but the lessened humidity is awesome and the city thrives this time of year to have outdoor eating, sports, concerts, you name it. 

My Ethiopia trip got be back just in time for the start of October, which was surprisingly warmer than usual. It wasn't until the end of Oct that temps finally be came maneagable, just in time for Halloween. As most people know, Halloween is a very American "holiday," yet during my other travels and now here, countries are embracing it. Fortunately, it is about 1/10th of what it is in the States and I nor many were not exposed to the excessive amounts of candy and chocolate. Almost to the point where I was "saving" myself for my UK friends and their big Halloween bash, haha. Funny enough, they are an older couple, Hank had been here for over 40 years, almost as old as Dubai, and him and Lynne, his wife, just love love LOVE Halloween and have collected Halloween goodies during all these years AND because Hank is a pilot (helicopter for the Sheikh!), he has quite a collection. So much so that Hank, no joke, took almost 3 weeks off from work to decorate his beautiful large home. Yes, a true house with a LARGE lawn, in Dubai, which is quite rare as it is very apartment friendlyand the villas often have small gardens. Anyhoo, it was as I expected, amazing! Even upon entering there was the fake smoke and background evil chuckling and Halloween figures in scary costumes. And that was just the entrance! The background was packed with a large pirates ship, no joke, a roasting doll (like on a stick revolving like pig), and as it was a pirates themed party, lots of pirates paraphernalia. I am totally not doing it justice, and these pictures won't, but it was really specatular! Also well done with catered food and a bar with every drink you can think of. Here are some pics:


Mind you, he built that shed just for the party!!












Above are the hostesses with the mostesses, Hank and Lynne. Note to self, don't take pics with flash! Pics don't do it justice, but quite the amazing Halloween party and beats many I've been to at home in USA. I told them that!!

Before I knew it, Thanksgiving was upon us! Well, the last 4 years (wow!), I don't think I did anything. Makes me realize how few American friends I have here (there aren't that many anyway). But this year because I was actually working (to makeup a day) on Thursday, I was at work for the annual Thanksgiving lunch our American family practice doctor usually provides (and this will be the last as she is moving back to the States, sniff sniff):


Actually, quite delish!!!! But I have to admit, was waaaaay outdone by a Thanksgiving party I was invited to the next day, a lunch of celebrating it "Dubai style," hence, with glam. Again, the host, my friend Nesrine, outdid herself. The house was beautifully decorated and was set up for a fabulous lunch. It was definitely done-up, and the food, wow! I have to admit it really topped all otherThanksgiving  dinners (or lunches) I have ever had. I was waaaaay impressed!!! 




Yay! Pumpkin pie and quite the dessert collection! 







Me, Neserine and Shivani, we call ourselves "organic groupees" because of out quest to eat and be healthy, minus Thanksgiving dinner of course! The flowers were gorgeous and loved the fall theme of it, and again, just a wonderful lunch and time! Unfortunately, I had to leave a bit early for a wedding, so off I went to Laura's and Clint's Dubai reception party with my runner feel friends (which she is. Darn it, don't have a pic of her!):


Jez, Steph, James, Kathryn and I! For once, not in athletic gear, haha. 

Sooo... There were some other happenenings in the fall, but alas, little bits here and there and now it is December, winter!!! Looking fwd to what it will bring :-)









No comments:

Post a Comment