Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Comrades, Part 1 - The Run Experience

All of us have big moments in our lives, BIG moments. Graduations, marriages, kids, "1sts" of this that and the other.  Athletic achievements count as well, still remember my first marathon, my first triathlon, my first ultra. Just like those other, you do work and work for it, have a goal, and have a will to succeed. Well, I'm not married nor have kids, BUT have had some graduations and some athletic achievements. Highlights are when I qualified for Boston marathon, running Boston marathon, summiting Mt. Kilimanjaro, doing 2 x 1/2 ironman's, BUT... probably all of that combined pales in comparison to what went into training for Comrades uphill Ultra Marathon, 86.7 km (nearly 54 miles!). Okay, I won't undermine those other accomplishments and feats as they were something quite special, but this experience was an experience like none other. I technically started training in October 2016 when I got out of my summer hiatus. Goals were broken up in preparation - the back to back marathons (Mumbai and Dubai in January), then Two Oceans in April, and then Comrades (1st weekend of June, June 4th to be exact!). I guess the others had their fair share of hype and build up, but there is something different about this experience. I remember last year in 2016 when I completed my first Two Oceans and finishing and barely got to the bag pick-up when people were asking me about Comrades. All I have to say is that I do have a clean mouth, but some expletives were spoken that there was noooooooooooooooooooooo way I would do something "so crazy." To me, having done 56km at that time was tough tough tough. Well, I guess I am crazy after all. How did I get convinced? In the summer of 2016, a good running buddy of mine (Ram) committed to Comrades, he had never even done an ultra and is one of those guys that are "go big or go home," haha. When he made the announcement, my heart sunk. Why? Because I knew he would convince me to do it somehow, he's one of 'those' people that you always get suckered into doing things. Still was anti, but as it happened, when I returned to running after my summer hiatus, there were some new faces, and those new faces happened to be ALL Comrades runners. Gulp. I literally was the one woman out. So then it started, youtube videos, messages, more youtube videos, more messages... from everyone. Every run, "soo... did you sign up yet?" hhaha. All in good spirit and probably deep in my heart I knew I was going to do it, but was quite proud held out till I think November before I did it. So there you have it, succumbed and didn't look back. Now can't imagine my life without this experience.

Part 2: Uh oh, the bor-ing stuff, details about my training, he he (those are the blogs that are more for ME and can be ignored by all. I use this blog as a reference sometimes!), but as this experience is so fresh, had to get it out before I forget the little bits.

Part 3: The Comrades weekend in Durban! Mostly pictures :-)

This experience, as with Two Oceans, was quite overwhelming because of the group size. I'm still in awe how many crazies we have in our running group to do these 56km and 87km runs, we had a "core" group of about 10, but if you added the other "outer circle" we called them, he he, it was about 15 and there were more. So from the flight heading out to Durban to the flight back, it was almost non-stop action. In Two Oceans we have Brian and Margaret that are like the mom and dad of the group and organize everything for us. Here we had Nic, he's from S. Africa and has family in Durban, and from months back, he arranged a good deal at our hotel, transportation, a pre-run dinner, a post-run lunch, other food options throughout, really made the weekend easy and convenient and can't thank him enough for that!!!


Now, Part 1 - The Run: WARNING - quite detailed!!! This is for me to refer to later and also reflect on later! 

Going into any run, we all have our Goal A, B, and C. For me, if all the stars were aligned, thought 9 hours and 30 min could be doable and supposedly, by consistently running marathons around 3:40-3:50, that is actually my "predicted" time. Goal B (more realistic) would be around 10 hours. Goal C would be 10 hours and 30 min. The before the run, met with Tim, Nic, and Nikki - Team SA, as I like to call them. They all were all confident as clams we could all do 9 hours and 30 min, including me, a newbee. Maybe that was a mistake? haha. But they instilled it in me and I believed it. They had all run Comrades multiple times and I think it was because of all the rest and tapering had a 'go get em' attitude and started gearing towards Goal A and feeling confident about it.

So we all started together in Pen D. Nic had his avg time goals per 5km and off we went. All of us felt fresh but in the back of my mind, I kept hearing the #1 advice of "Be in Control. Start Slow. Start slow." It's hard because you ARE running slow, a lot slower than you normally run, but ... even that can be too fast. But I just was following Team SA, who have all done it multiple times before. Funny thing, in the dark and out of the 18k people, I run into my friend Nes! So random! Long story how I know him, but met with him and his new wife just a couple of months ago on my way back through Joburg (that's where they live) from Botswana and back to Dubai. He had a goal of a Bill Rowen medal, or getting Sub - 9 hours. Eek! He has also run it before and seeing and passing him gave me a little bit of a shake-up of "am I going to fast?" But it was fairly early on, a few km in, and was comfortably running with Team SA and sticking to "the plan." So Tim and Nic kept pushing forward and Nikki and I held back and we separated a bit, but we did catch up to them.

I think it was still fairly early, maybe around 10 km or so,  when it was getting light out, that all of a sudden, we came up to the sub-9 hour pace bus. What?!!! Right away I panicked and waved Tim and Nic off to go ahead as that was REALLY fast and nooooo way did I want to get anywhere near 9 hours. Actually felt more relaxed after they took off and was running with Nikki who is super steady and positive. But then I think it was even before 15km when she had to stop and take something out of her shoe. So I went ahead and was waiting for her to catch up. Then as I think we were approaching around 20km when I I saw a port-o-potty and felt I really should go as before felt I had to pee, and better to relieve, right.? :-)  Annoyingly, there was a LINE for the 3 toilets, blargh, BUT while I was waiting I saw Nikki pass, told her to go ahead and was going to catch up (I didn't) then saw Omar pass, who was sweet enough to ask if I was okay (thankfully I was) and he went on. He's a MUCH faster runner than I am and early on, Team SA and I passed him and this other speedy guy Quentin really early on, and that was probably a sign that we (or I) was going out too fast (which really didn't feel that fast!). Anyhoo, I did catch up to Omar and ran with him a smidge but he too went on and let him go. I told myself pretty much after Nikki and I separated that I was going to run my own race. Although at Two Oceans I looooved running with Tim and Nic, we really pulled each other along and the run went by very quickly. BUT this was a MUCH longer run and.... actually, am glad I did most of it on my own because really embraced it and immersed myself in the atmosphere.

The run is super packed, the whole way it is busy with runners and the crowd support is amazing. I mean, REALLY amazing. It all seems like a blur now, and I have to say the whole run in entirety, as odd as it sounds, went by quickly. I NEVER thought if it as the distance or time, the run itself counts down with bulletins however up until the marathon point was just looking at my watch as the km were counting up. Then after that point, I counted down. So the km are a blur, had mini goals, mostly time and distance goals of when to take an 'extreme endurolyte' capsule or salt tablet or GU or even a few jellies. I did not look at my watch for time till near the end. I REALLY tried to just listen to my body, not overdrink but stay hydrated. I was grabbing these sachets of water at liberty and usually put one over my head and another one sipping and drinking or holding to drink later if/as needed. It did get HOT HOT HOT, and probably after the 1/2 way mark was thinking how I need to run with a visor or something because just could feel the sun glaring on my head and possibly even a dull headache from it.

The good thing about both Two Oceans and Comrades is that everyone runs with a front and back bib and on the bib has your name and also how many of the run you have done. So not only is it a good distraction, buuut when you see someone that has a green number, or more than 10 Comrades, you do what they do. The first 1/2 I was probably doing more running than walking, but definitely had my fair share of walking. The 2nd half, was probably more walking the uphills than running, but tried to run when I could. I wasn't shy to walk as well and took my time through the water/food stops and in hindsight, just that alone I could have shaved off 10-15 minutes because anyway am not a fast walker and do admit I did dawdle. So this is an uphill run, and early on, think before even the 1/2 way point, started chatting to an older gent who was doing their 40th Comrades, 40!!!!!!! Can you imagine??!!?!!!! On a side note, the thing with these ultras, it is quite friendly and conversations and meeting people is not only welcome but also expected. So this kind soul doing his 40th (!!!) started chatting and he was cute to give me little tidbits of advice, one thing he said was to not look up the hill, keep your head down and go up. Because if you actually look up at the hill, it is quite daunting. He also gave the advice to just take it easy and "slow and steady.' Love it. Believe it or not, somehow later ran into someone else doing his 40th, he was a wee bit more cranky ("I"ve had it, this is MY LAST ONE! hahah") . I told him "never say never!| But someone said that there were only 4 people that daywast were doing their 40th and can't believe i met 2 of them! I also met this other lady doing her 25th (!!!) and she ended up being a physio! Small world! Saw her off and on through the run, but overall, everyone very very friendly. Of course as I was wearing my Dubai tank, got a lot of "Go Dubai!" and also my name. The crowd support is truly amazing and I remember at some point was rounding a corner and there was this BIG African woman and she literally yelled "ELLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNN!!! YOU'RE AWESOME!!!!! KEEP GOING!" and then kept singing and dancing. And she yelled this full belly and fully force, almost took me by surprise! Was sooo funny! Also, the song shosholoza is truly one that almost makes me teary, an old S. African mining song that is sooo moving and is almost as powerful as the national anthem at sporting events like Two Oceans and Comrades. At the beginning, and this happened at Two Oceans, this is when I got emotional: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aFlQS4k3wo. I heard it several times during the run by the pace buses or spectators, and it always picked me up, such a moving song! At the start of the run, another staple and goose bump song before the run is the song, Chariots of Fire, amazing.

Oops, I digress. Well, my legs started feeling tired... well, definitely before the 1/2 way point, but ... just no surprise with a top heavy run and that I was indeed running a lot of hills (which I was, ha ha). I can't remember which point it was, think between 50-60km when I started having some cramps and spasms in my leg, under my left foot, my left quad, both calves, here and there and everywhere. Even before they started, I (thought) was pretty good with taking the 'extreme endurolytes' (that's the name of it, by Hammer) and salt tablets and brought 6-7 of each and... literally took 6-7 of each, almost every hour if not less. Also took 3-4 gels. And as I mentioned, really thought I was hydrating well. Anyhoo, thank gawwwwwwwwwwd was totally relaxed about it and just stayed relaxed and would try and wiggle it out, which usually worked, especially for the foot ones. Did NOT panic and as there IS a lot of walking in this run, would walk it out and then when I felt better, would go again. If it felt it would seize again, then would walk again. So I can meekly say it was "manageable."

Buuuuuuuuuuut THEN came this loong uphill walk "little" Polly Shorts. As everyone else around me was walking, walked although again, could have technically have run, but if EVERYONE around you is walking, those with green numbers and experience, you walk! It felt fine and relaxed. So I got to the top and the food/aide stop was right there so went to start running again and I'm not kidding, almost felt out of nowhere, my adductors TOTALLY and COMPLETELY seized!!! Like literally, became rock solid and COMPLETELY contracted. I nearly stopped in my tracks and I'm sure I didn't look pretty, was moving like Frankenstein, obviously had pain on my face, and by some miracle, this man with a red flag just happened to be there and he waved frantically saying "help! Help! One over here!" And of nowhere, these 2 physios came and they both started icing and massaging my adductors, quads... and well, my entire leg with icy freeze. It relaxed a bit but had them do it a 2nd time... it relaxed some more but I could tell it wasn't there yet. Then they told me to do some VERY gentle stretching of the adductors, which I did, and then it felt.... ready again. Soo sooo bizarre! Walked it out a bit and then.... it did subside and was able to run again. My gosh, what an experience! But again, didn't panic, didn't freak out, was just like  "okay, keep going!" Was able to walk/run for the next 20-30 km, had a major cramp on my left hamstring, but stretched it out and it was.... "okay."  Funny thing was during all of kept my mind occupied on how interesting human physiology is. So fascinating! Although I have extensively looked up and researched about cramping from my 2015 Dubai marathon when my calves seized the last 10km and my long awaited 3:35 marathon went out the window, it still perplexes me!

So I think around 70km or so, my adductors kind of 'settled,' but my left hamstring was 'lighting up' every now (as well as my left foot and both calves, and my left quad). Thankfully stopped at another medical table and had it massaged and again, had icy hot on it. From there till the finish, was a combination of the calves seizing, to quad (VMO and rectus femoris) to calves again. Even the last km or so, walked a bit, but darn it, was going to finish it "running." BTW, on a side note, I did peak at my watch when it was around 9 hours and 30 minutes and knew that I was no way going to make sub 10 hours, which I was TOTALLY okay with,  but there was a chance of around 10 hours and 15 minutes and REALLY felt I could finish before 10hrs30.... . But I did come awfully close to the 10 hour and 30 min pace bus, so either they were faster than they should have been, or... I dunno.

Speaking of pace buses, I came across a couple of them, and my gawd, what a magical experience that is. It is this pack, literally, kinda tight squeeze, following this pace bus leader. The more amazing part is the camaraderie.... the Africans in this kind of meditative voice saying "eas-y, eas-y" and just repeating that over and over again. Sometimes they would yell that song, "who let the dogs out? woof woof," haha, too funny. Then one I was with for a bit was doing this count down to walking and then running again, and would include other people in the pace bus. Then he would also do breathing exercises like lifting your hands up in the air (which is good to open up the diaphragm), take deep breaths, and .... just sooo nice and thoughtful and remarkable! Running and leading so many people (literally, some had 20-30 if not more runners in the group) and having energy to 'lead' with comments and checking in is truly amazing. Amazing!!

Anyway, soo... was fairly 'quiet' as far as runners when I finished, BUT the crowds were thumping and shouting and, so remarkable! When I crossed the finish line, it was just..... can't even explain! I DID IT!!!


Final time: 10 hours 17 min and 04 seconds!! 


                                                  


  


On a side note, thank gawwwd trusted and listened to my instincts and ran my own race. Nic, Tim, and Nikki blasted it! Tim got 9:26 (AMAZE!) and Nikki and Nic got 9:36! Omar got 9:51! And then it was me... I guess first DCS lady, lol. 

The finish area wasn't as traumatic as I heard from last year's downhill, "like a war zone." I knew to keep walking, no water or anything at the finish, and started talking to someone that was from Bahrain and we finished at the same time. Wish they did give some drinks or food at the end, but I guess it gets too chaotic with people passing out and they don't want to clog the area.  So here I am walking towards the international tent, just looking around me, saw people hugging, in tears (happy), passed out on the grass, so many emotions! And there was this little scoop, hardly anything at all, and I stepped down and I'm not kidding, my legs COMPLETELY and I mean COMPLETELY locked up! I totally collapsed on the ground shouting from pain, my adductors! My quads! My calves!!!!! COMPLETELY like rigor mortis! The pain ... I can't even describe it! This happened just in front of this poor couple and the poor couple, they immediately came and tried to help, but I really didn't know what to say or do! I was fighting off tears it was soo sooo bad and wouldn't let up, I tried to get them to stretch a bit, but... just was COMPLETELY locked up. God, just thinking about it I want to cringe. It eased slightly, then it came back again completely full force. They asked to call medical help, but I was in this little ditch with no medical help in sight except for people staring at me feeling sorry for me (not really, others offered to help). It did ease and I just sat there and tried to relax. The poor couple stood close by and someone else came by to try and help, but just needed to relax. Eventually it relaxed and had some people help get me up and was able to walk again. My gawd, that was even worse than running the 87km. It was horrid when it happened to my adductors, but at least it helps to keep moving and they wouldn't even allow me to sit down. This just completely COMPLETELY contracted, my legs were rock hard and, gosh, felt like they would just... I don't know, I wouldn't say dead because definitely alive and contracted! After that incident, somehow managed to climb up and down stairs to make it to the International Tent to drink water and electrolyte and even later eat because felt needed refueling as God forbid didn't want to go through that again.

All and all, Louise said it all. It was so great to be sitting there and one by one our runners came. Louise said, "I didn't know what the run was about until now. It's not about finishing. It's not about times, it's about the experience." I couldn't agree more. She ran with a pace bus most of the time, and had an amazing Comrades connection with them and the people, she got super support and just loved it. It was so great to hear that for better or for worse, all of us had... a special Comrades experience. From the people we met to the support to everything in between, was just great. Carla came to the tent in happy tears as she barely made it and was just so so happy that she just squeaked in and immersed herself in the experience. ONLY felt super super SUPER bad for Chandra, who had a calf niggle going into the race, and it flared up, and he dropped out I think around 60km. And Sujeet, gosh, he was 700m short, 700m short of finishing! Said he tried to run 'fast' to get there, but there was just no way. Soo sooooooooo close! Am so gutted for them, but they are both amazingly nice gentlemen and despite the MAJOR disappointment, they both were supportive and happy for us and said they would redeem next year.

Speaking of, there you have it, commitment for next year!!! Before one groans and moans that I'll go through this again, one of the special things about Comrades is every other year it alternates from Durban to Pietermaritzburg and vice versa, so one is predominantly uphill (this year) and the other downhill. If you do both, and it has to be consecutive years, you get this "special" back to back medal. So as if it wasn't good enough you did just one, pretty much anyone you talk to will then immediately ask if you've done the 2nd. We almost joke like it's not even worth it to do one if you don't do the other. Sigh. But it is indeed another challenge and my group of newbees, already committed to it for next year. Here we go again!

Back to the Notes to Self:
  • Get used to wearing a visor. Definitely did feel my forehead and face hot and feel it will help with my cramping issues to have it.
  • Start earlier with tabs and... I really take electrolyte capsule and/or salt every 45 min to an hour. I remember had planned to take one right at the start and start from there, and then realized an hour or so in I had forgotten and took one maybe an hour and a half after we started and then maybe was another hour and a half after, but I guess should have been more proactive and 'preventative.'
  • Yes, you've been told 02394832094832904823904823904832904 times, but really, TAKE IT SLOW at the beginning. Don't know if it is the same scenario at the downhill, but the uphill is VERY top heavy, meaning the hardest part of the course is the first half or just about up to 50 km, 3 of the Big 5 Hills are there, and they are whomping hills. To be honest, I was so immersed with the people around me (runners) and spectators, have to say never felt like "holy s***!!!! Look at that hill!" Because pretty much all of it was up and down, down and up, up up up, then down, down.... then more of one and then the other. 
  • 10km by 10km "people": Have heard a few people say to keep you mentally strong, they divide the run in 10km's and each 10km they designate to anyone or something special to them. Could be parents, friends, a significant other, you name it. So I did that, and I really did make a point to think of that person or group of people during the run. So that will be a good thing to continue for next year! 
  • Keep the mantra's. I had little sayings I would repeat in my head, I wouldn't even say I was hurting, but just to keep going, things like "just keep swimming, just keep swimming" ( YES, I know I was running, BUT Finding Nemo is my FAVE movie and 'just keep running' doesn't have the same appeal"), "you are strong, you are powerful," things like that. Just helped keep the mind ticking and not thinking about all those aches and pains. 
  • RUN YOUR OWN RACE!!! That's the biggest tip I will tell others and myself next year! Don't look at others, don't be competitive, just run your OWN race how YOU feel. 
Supplements/Prep/Day of:
  • 2-3 prior to the run, had been taking "Beet it" shots, these concentrated beet root 'shots,' that (supposedly) opens up blood channels and increases oxidation to the muscles, etc etc. Thought why not? Also took some bars. It was recommended to take 2 the morning of the run on an empty stomatch, but let's say after just one am rushing to the toilet, so had one the night before and then the morning of.
  • Body Health Amino Acids, "Perfect Amino." Had been using this for a lot of the season, basically this capsule absorbs 99% of protein into your body, eggs is about 40% and so it goes. It helps with recovery and endurance. I was taking 5x/daily, then a few days before up'd it to 8 and then took 8 (on an empty stomach) before the run, and then 8 during the run. I had another 8 to take after yet another 4 hours, BUT thought I put it in my front pouch, it wasn't there and after the run ended, realized I put it in my back shorts pocket, d'oh! Oh well. 
  • As mentioned, had Hammer 'extreme endurloyte' capsules with me to supposedly help with cramps (hmph). I promoted this product to my friends that do cramp and of course they didn't, but somehow I did, even though I took 6-7 of them. As noted previously, maybe should have started earlier? 
  • Salt capsules - Also took 6-7 of them. Was alternating between the Hammer ones and these. 
  • Roctane GU's - I think started at 25km? Then took another one at 40km, then 60km then 70km (I think? Around those km's). I didn't want my stomach to feel ill so was really spacing them out. 
  • Jelly bean electrolytes - I had this just a few times and just a couple. Again, another sugary thing and between all the other food stuffs, kind of forgot about it. I had a LOT of 'chomps' in my pouch, but didn't even have one. 
  • Medical supplies! No joke, we were warned to carry this stuff with us: Panadol (that's the only thing I maybe would have taken as felt a dull headache from the sun, but I didn't. NO ibuprofen or pain killer as that is too damaging for the kidneys), valoid (this S. Africa Anti-nausea tablet, I guess nausea can be common), buscapan (anti stomach cramping. This is from mixing up so many sugary things and maybe things you're body is not used to). So I had all these things in my back pocket. Also, had a mini packet of TUMS with me. Fortunately, didn't use anything in my little medical supply mini baggie! 
  • The course! Well, one thing they say about ultras is you do a lot of eating and a lot of walking, so it can't be that bad, huh? haha. But really, they have at liberty small salted potatoes, oranges, bananas, racefood (my fave), just plain salt, crackers, biscuits, and then spectators along the road giving all sorts of goodies. So again, I was listening to my body and as I didn't wany any tummy issues, so did have a few of the salted potatoes, just to neutralize my stomach, a few oranges, a few banana bits, and a few racefood bits. I know it sounds like a lot but by no means was I stuffing myself, was just having tidbits of these things and mind you, was running pretty much all day!!! 
  • Fluids - Nooooo way was I going to have their version of poweraide/gatorade, so ONLY had water and coke. Coke oddly delicious although I NEVER drink that at home. They handed out water sachets and basically had one for my head to cool off, then had one in my sports bra as reserve, and one holding which I would sip. Again, drinking to thirst! 

Reflection: Sigh, it's been hardly 2 days and am still buzzing, all seems like a dream. Was SUCH a build up to this, this was MY LIFE for the last few months. Soooooooo many early hours, weekends being anti-soch (or being home by 9pm, ha ha) to get up early, so much commitment. Was it worth it? Every second! Am sooooooooooooo sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo grateful and thankful for my SUPER SUPER Comrades compatriots and sharing this experience with them. Also, there is nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo way I would have done the training or even done this thing if it hadn't been for CCC - Comrades Cuckoo Club, that's what we called ourselves, me, Ram, Nic, Tim, Louise, Liz and later Sujeet. We had our laughs, fair share of groans, brother/sister squabbles, and more laughs. With them and the other people that did it from our group, it was a GREAT bonding experience and saw a different side of them and got to know them better besides just run talk. Looking back at the run, am glad that I ran my own race and ran on my own. I can see why this run sucks you in, it's such a long run and there are sooo many things you think you could do differently to make it better. For me, REALLY feel could have done a sub 10 hours if I hadn't taken it out "fast" (really wasn't that fast, but I guess needed to be slower), been more proactive and taken the electrolyte stuff even earlier (I guess? Still am ?? about the cramping stuffs), walked more with a purpose instead of dawdling, and ... I guess later into the race was too afraid of the cramp to come on that held back a lot. I'm happy with my time and am proud of myself! I also am glad that instead of moaning and groaning about the upcoming and relentless hills, ran when I could, "look down and go" as the guy who had run 40 advised (glad I met him fairly early in the run!), and actually kind of looked forward to the uphill because it just meant walk and running, ha ha. Downhill took it easy, didn't pound it out and try to 'catch up time,' just was 'eas-y, eas-y' as the pace group people say. I think being relaxed about that made a BIG difference, and also mental strength. Later I heard soo many people pulling and dropping out because of cramps. I honestly can say that did not even cross my mind AT ALL!!! I think if it had, the race would have been a different story. So thank gawwd I stayed relaxed, maybe it was because after that dreaded 2016 marathon when I severely cramped the last 10km in my calves, I really did panic and then later read that when you panic, you increase your sympathetic nervous system which actually accelerates the calcium binding and contractions. So staying relaxed is key!!!!!

Results:

timing and ranking
official start time05:29:45
actual start time05:32:43
net time10:14:06
gross time10:17:04 (finish time)
rank overall5278 of 17031 starters
rank gender613 of 3546 starters
rank category322 of 1656 starters
medalBronze

locationtimespeedo/asexcatsplitspeedo/asexcattime of day
Pinetown 18,2 km2:02:286:44 min/km65755532962:02:286:44 min/km675755629607:32:13
Winston Park 29,7 km3:15:016:34 min/km60874932671:12:346:19 min/km528938422208:44:46
Drummond 42,7 km4:46:316:43 min/km58275092831:31:307:03 min/km564261332710:16:16
Cato Ridge 56,7 km6:27:196:50 min/km53115052841:40:487:12 min/km463763933811:57:04
Umlaas Road 66,7 km7:44:506:59 min/km52175292871:17:327:46 min/km529482442813:14:35
Polly Shortts 79,2 km9:21:227:06 min/km52335753031:36:327:44 min/km6242110453814:51:07
Pietermaritzburg 86,73 km10:17:047:07 min/km527861332255:437:24 min/km8343161580515:46:49


Here are not-so-glam pics of the run taken professionally:















Up next... Part 2, training! (bor-ing, I know, it's for MY reference! Hehe) and part 3 - the weekend!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment