Friday, February 9, 2018

Redemption

I have to say, the last 2 weeks slowly yet surely have recovered from "Marathon Disaster." Probably physically first and then mentally. Was super nice to all that checked in on me and made sure I was okay, my super run buddy Ram 'made me' get a Heart Rate monitor, which is a good investment anyway, and again, thanks to all that showed their love and support. I do admit went into a wee bit of a self pity party, not so much dwelling on what happened, as just think it was a recipe for disaster, but more so comfort eating. Soo... was NOT shy of comfort food and drink, even did a 'ladies night' out (gasp!) and skipped the next mornings run because.... just didn't feel like it (gasp #2!):

                                         
Me with Irish ladies Ruth, Helen, Caroline and Niamh!


But slowly and surely revamped myself for the RAK 1/2 marathon - a staple of Dubai. This is my 4th (5th?) year doing it. Have had some down RAK's. but it is a fun run, SUPER SUPER well organized and really, EVERYONE does it. EVERYONE from my group, and also always good to catch up with fellow friends and runners from outside. Initially had NO mojo for it, but as the week went on, started to feel more into it. Race strategy was to NOT gun it and go out like a maniac, but take it steady and just FINISH it without any disasters, was thinking would aim for between 1:45 (best case scenario) and under 1:50... which is my usual 1/2 marathon time.

It was already off to a good start with carpool with these lovely people, Ram, Janine, and Christine.... laughs from the over hour car drive to Ras Al Khaimah!

                                   

Sooo... THIS time around, again, because sooooooooooooooooooooo many people I know do it, almost right of the bat got in a little group with Irish John (that's what we call him), Lovely Louise, and Jordan (S. African). Jordan also had a disastrous Dubai mara (although he finished), he was in our initial posse when we started and he too said we took it out waaaaaaaaaay too fast, so we were both making a point to take it out a wee slower  (although both feeling we could 'up' it).

Awesomely enough, we all ran together up until I think even around 15-16km before Jordan took off, then a km or so later, John did, and then Louise fell back. Was a super distraction and we had fun! When we WERE all together, which was majority of the run, we were a super super team as we were chatting most of the way, being VERY relaxed, waving and shouting at the other runners who were already looping back... really have to say I ENJOYED it! The weather was foggy and cool, wasn't overheating, DIDN'T feel like was going out to fast or too hard, we REALLY kept it steady. I was soo thankful they were there because they pushed me along a little but and I also pushed them. With a few km to go and me just on my own, it was actually nice as I KNEW "I got this." Felt enough steam to pick up the speed a bit and finished strong!!!! Yayyyyy!!!! Gosh, SUCH a relief to have a GOOD GOOD run! Negative split it, really felt steady and strong the whole time, and although DEFINITELY could feel the couple of kg of weight I have added compared to last year (booooo!), finished at .....

1:46:39!!!! 

And look at the steady splits!!!!!


 

Although NOT a best time or anything, the 'glory' of it after 2 weeks ago made it sooo soo special! Even better that legs felt good as I ended up needing it as Ram forgot where we parked, Pruthu was of no help to find it nor was I, and that was a comedy show as we literally walked an additional few km trying to find it again, ha haha.






Ah ha, a friend's pic!! Louise and I! I guess was in my 'game face' mode and she... apparently not! lol 





This one above my FAVE! Right at the finish! Good posture and looking strong, if I have to say so myself (because I felt good and strong! Mentally and physically!) 

And... the gigantic heavy finishers medal, one to add to the books!

After the run with Riyadh, Pruthu, me and Jolly - all had good runs!

Again, was sooo nice to see soo many friendly people on the course, waving and cheering, and also the camaraderie by all. Many of our runners that weren't even running the race came out to help out, and Margaret, my angel from the Dubai mara that "saved me" was there volunteering as well and she purposefully came to check in on me, as well as a few others, that I was okay, and is just too too sweet! 

Although wanted the same after Dubai marathon, am soooooooooooooooo happy to be leaving a BIG Dubai run with such fond memories. Especially that ran with Lovely Louise for such a long way, but oddly, we can't seem to find pictures of her in the group or her and I together! boooooooo! 

After the looong drive home, didn't even have a chance to nap (even though got up at 3:30am for the drive) as am in major pow wow mode to clean out my apartment, felt hardly made any progress although I swear was 'busy' doing things!!! 

THEN, a TOTAL change of clothes and scenery, went with my good friend and running buddy Laura H to Dubai Opera to see my new fave pianist, Ludovico Einaudi - his arctic performance is.... too good for words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DLnhdnSUVs

The performance was brilliant. Was just so nice after all these stressful weeks to sit back and relax and listen to such awesome piano and music. His fellow musicians were phenomenal and although some bits were a bit 'angry,' meaning quite intense, I sooo soooo enjoyed it! And also nice to get out of running kit for once, ha haha. 








Soo..... there it is. Am back in action! I think needed this time 'off' to mentally and physically reset as now officially starts Comrades training, longer and longer runs and a big o life commitment. So now feel recharged and .... back in good spirits!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment