Sunday, March 4, 2018

Living in Dubai - A Full Circle

Life really does come full circle.

6 years ago I remember the process it was to get my 1st "real" apartment. What had happened as me commenting on this "nice building" when I was 'subletting' an apartment downtown, to me inquiring about it and being told it was a 'no go', to me just randomly having a patient that just happened to live there and who gave me a realtor contact that was apparently the only way 'in,' to me moving in. Literally with a few suitcases and bags. I remember clearly buying fridge and bed first, and then little by little adding... and adding... and adding. A BIG thanks went to my Dubai "mom," Kay for taking me to garage sales and buying things, Dubizzle (similar to Craigslist in the States, buying 2nd hand stuffs), to randomly getting things for free from people selling, moving, downsizing, etc etc. It took probably a full year before had all the right things to live and then another year + to get it decorated a bit. And as these things always go, next thing you know I have a 'full' apartment with somehow sets of 8-10 of dishware, a dozen or so towels, and... how did this happen? hahhaa

Well, thank GAWD that I was smart (for once!) and got everything 2nd hand so had NO attachment whatsoever to get rid of it. Then also THANK GAWD a few times a year went to garage sales to get rid of stuffs, AND being that I knew my apartment lease would end end of Feb, literally 6+ months ago started slowly yet surely getting rid of things. Wow, although am fully aware I can be a bit nazi with planning, although try not too, am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I planned ahead for this because it was quite stressful these last few weeks.

But, da da dum, here it is!!!!!

(will post pics soon! esp before and after)

I think part of my demise at the marathon was this stress, the moving bit, but also where I would end up and as knew and others told me, everything will work out. After tough negotiations, found a airbnb type place through a friend, basically renting a room and bathroom from a couple that has a 2-bedroom... although more than I wanted to spend, the location is FAB and close to all my activities and most especially work! Also, was a blessing, a true blessing, that these other friends of mine just happen to go skiing and offered for me to stay at their gorgeous villa for the same week when I was transiting from my old place to my new place. So the triangle of bringing things back and forth between all of them was... quite busy and stressful. But again, blessing #3 - just happen to have a runner friend that lives literally the building next to my 'new' place that is EK crew, along with her sisters, and long story short, they are super kindly letting me park there during these next 3 months which is HUGE HUGE HUGE relief as that was another major stress.

So, as they say, everything will work out and what's meant to be is meant to be.

I also was stubborn as usual and did ALL of this by myself, and although got haphazard offers for help, it was actually easier on my own anyway.

Besides full-on work, this triangle of accommodations, also had full-on training going on and all these early wake-ups, and.... phew!!!!! Somehow made it and now that am finally 'settled' in my new place, thank gawd, now it 'hopefully' will be smooth sailing till the end!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment