Wednesday, November 2, 2011

1st Week of Work, Done!

Well, one year and a half later.... I'm a working woman! Before you shake your head in disbelief that it has seriously been this long, know that I did my international volunteering during that time and also worked part-time. Hehehe. So needless to say, I was actually looking forward to working and WANTED to work... it's been almost too long (although I really won't complain, ha ha).

Where to start? Well, the 1st thing one should note, and I'll make this a Lesson...

Lesson #7: Arab nations are typical very disorganized, and Dubai is no exception. Be patient.

It wasn't so much that I was thrown into a situation, it is just the place is a bit disorganized anyway, and I felt a bit all over the place with patient care, where I should go, where's what, who's who, everything. Which I know is TOTALLY normal in any new environment, but I thrive... pretty much function, from planning and organization, so it's a bit daunting to me. Deep breath and .... as in my fave movie Finding Nemo, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming."

Needless to say, I survived my 1st week! I began seeing patients the 2nd day and am up to 8/10 by the last day of the week. So they are definitely getting me up and running. There is A LOT for me to get used to, and I am already staying late to catch up with stuff, which again, I know is normal, but I don't want that to be a habit or routine like it was with my old job. Everyone has been super nice and I especially like my co-workers. There is only 5 of us: me, 2 Indians, 1 Philippina, and 1 Lebanase (the boss). So for once I am totally a minority! They treat a lot different than I do, and so far I've already learned a few things from them. They are also flexible and I feel everyone is accommodating and flexible. Just impressions, we'll see if that is really the case!

So far it seems really great that we are practically in direct contact with the MD's. I had a questionable referral from the podiatrist, and I just walked to her office, asked her my question, and that was that! No longer calling, calling, faxing, stalking the PA to try to get a hold of the doc, nice! And the other funny thing is cell phones.... it is soo ingrained in me to NOT have a cell phone anywhere near me, that I don't even think about it. Until pretty much everyone that has talked to me is like "what is your mobile?" The boss finally stalked me, and she said that is how we communicate... obviously more to track us down for patient purposes, but it seems a lot of people get personal calls as well and it is fine. Hhahaha. So there you have it, if you call me during work hours, you will most likely get a hold of me! Yea!

I'm pooped now, but I'll write another entry about what I've observed so far with how things run around here... and then we'll see my impressions 6 months from now, right? But I also don't want to bore myself or people by only writing about work, so I'll promise I'll try to limit it. BUT.... really, some things are different and interesting!

All and all, have a good feeling about work, feel very comfortable, and feel I can grow professionally and personally here! Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment