Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Xmas from Dubai!

Merry Xmas from Dubai!!!

A few things to note, YES, they do "celebrate" it here. There are enough Expats here, that most hotels have some sort of xmas decorations as well as malls. Here are a few pics of a couple of hotels:




BUT it is about 1/129308238094th of what it is like back at home. My company actually "bans" xmas music (gasp!) and believe it or not, I've really missed it! Where is Chicago's 93.9 with 24/7 xmas music when you need it? And yes, I tried doing online radio, BUT of course it is banned here. As well as many other things. Most of the Expats have left town to celebrate at home, however now the city is overrun by tourists.

A couple of 1sts....
1. My 1st holiday season here
2. My 1st time working on xmas eve AND day (with a FULL patient load!). Welcome to working in a Muslim country!!
3. My 1st time not really doing much for it, i.e. spending time with fam or friends. Here is a blond moment for you all... a patient that I've become friends with invited me to xmas dinner, which was super nice. She texted me on Xmas eve to give me some details. At the time, I was ?? about it, but then because I was feeling a bit lonely NOT being with friends and family, I thought it would be nice to spend time with a boisterous British family. That evening I got some dessert for them, and the next day planned by whole excursion out there. After I left work, I texted her to say I was on my way, running a bit late, and needed her villa number. Luckily I was still heading towards the metro when she texts me back and says, "good grief Ellen (side note, she said 'good grief' just like Charlie Brown! Love it!), the party was yesterday! All we have today is a hangover and some leftovers." hahahahahah! Oops. So there went my Xmas plans. Wah wah. I admit my head has been foggy lately because I'm overwhelmed with all these things I have to do here, get a bank, car, find an apt, etc., but wow, I really messed that up! She still said I was her favorite physio, so that was nice :-)

Instead I went to the couple where I was staying with before (I've now relocated into the city! Am subleasing a phatty apt for the month!), and unfortunately, she has some serious health issues going on and not only was it a bit depressing environment, but I didn't even eat because I didn't grab anything on my way there and they didn't have that much food there (and felt awkward asking considering the circumstances). Oh well.... at least one of my co-workers was super nice and treated a few of us to a nice Lebanese lunch, so I can say I at least did something for Christmas!

But anyhoo, no sob stories... makes me appreciate everyone I have in my life, my fam and friends, and I hope everyone had a wonderful Xmas!!! Miss you all a lot!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment