Monday, April 10, 2017

Chicago Surprise!!!

What does one do when your mom is turning 70 years old (shhhh....) and she is in complete de-nial about it? I mean, for a normally positive and happy person to be full on cranky about a birthday of all things, which is just a number, what would you do? Well, I thought about it and as I, unlike my siblings, have NEVER done a surprise for my parents or family, and... no time like the present! So I booked a short 5 day trip back home in order to add some cheer. Why so short? Well, I already had plans and flights for mid-April till the end of April so planned it that have a few days in between continents to do these travels. And no joke, there is a first for everything, first time I have been in 3 continents (North America, Asia, and Africa) in a week's time. Phew! 

Anyhoo, considering was soooooo soooooo busy beforehand, the trip was oddly smooth and really got to see and do everything that I wanted. One trick I did this time was a "come to me" approach, meaning had my friends and family come to me as really had no time to venture out AND also wanted to spend the little time with family and close friends. Below are pics from my whirlwind trip!

View from my friend's apt (stayed there for a couple of days before the SURPRISE):


Can't be in Chicago without a deep dish pizza!!! It was delish, my stomach not too happy after as don't eat dairy anymore or even tomato, but hey ho, was amaze! 


Above and below: My good grad school friend Char and her fam, too cute and so awesome they came out to see me at my fave Cafe Iberico and that I got to see the kids, yay!!!


Well, no Chicago trip without a run along lakefront path... AND literally running into the Shamrock Shuffle! Sniff sniff. Jumped in and did a few km here and there, but was wearing a bright yellow long-sleeve shirt and had NO bib number, so REALLY stood out. Got a great vibe for Chicago and for Chicago's running scene, yay! 





Friends! Breakfast with my college best friends and then lunch/snacks with my Oak Park friends, couldn't ask for a better day with friends that I love! 









Fab views from my friend Maggie's apt in the South Loop, close to my parents apt. 


SURPRISE!!!! Soo... surprised my dad first, he was in shock! Used a cake delivery as my sneaky way of finding out when he would be home (but really, did have a cake made by my fab baker friend Maggie (above) and she really does live close by, it was just me delivering it). Soooo awesome and was soo happy, both me and my dad!!!





Then... ta da! She was coming back from a trip and I surprised her at the airport with my pick-up! She was in SHOCK! After long travels, she really thought she was hallucinating or daydreaming, ha hah a. She was definitely happy with the bday cake! 





Next day treated them to afternoon tea at the Peninsula. Glad it was quiet there (it was a Monday) and we really had a nice time and it was super lovely and yummy. We didn't even finish all the scones, gasp! 




Had to go for a run the next day to burn off some calories, and again appreciated the city all the more :-) Met up with my friend Beth, who was super nice to come out from the 'burbs to see me...





Then met up with my OP friends, literally have known these guys for 20+ years, and did some walking around and Chicago sightseeing. Loved it!!! Love these people! 




Then it was more friend bonding with my college friends, all too awesome people and really, just the best! 





Then it was fam friend time, our dear friend Jana, my dear Uncle Zoran, and then our dear "kum" Mladen, all great seeing them! 





And down to the wire, couldn't leave Chicago without seeing my old OP house, now sold to a family. I made my dad drive by on the way to the airport. Finally am at the stage where can drive by and not feel like I want to cry from sentiment, now happy to have all moved on and nice knowing a young family is there (sold to a friend I went to high school with!). 


And... that's it! Finished with a bang of a sunset and a 14 hour flight.


Well, the expression, home is where the heart is, isn't for nothing. I REALLY had a wonderful time being home. Yes, it was an "express" trip, buuuut was soo worth traveling half way across the world. Not only did a cheer my mom up and her de-nial about her bday, but also just was great getting some fam and friend lovin'! Being on my own out here isn't easy, and it was just nice to get warmth of people and the city. This was my 3rd time coming home. The first time was defo still in my American ways and NOT at all into Dubai just yet. The 2nd time was the opposite, was full on Dubai life and just embracing it. Now, really feel and know it is right for me to go home next year, as was thinking anyway. Really felt connected to the city, of course want to be close to my family and friends, and this fall will be 6 years. That is plenty! And just feel... I need a change again. A change in life and a change. And Chicago is definitely my home and where I want to be.

Soo.... in the meantime, will embrace and live this life here in Dubai the best I can, and slowly but surely start the prep home!! Am excited!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment