Saturday, April 29, 2017

Two Oceans #2, Part 1 - The Run!

WARNING BELOW: DETAILED ABOUT THE RUN ITSELF AND RUNNING!!

Helloo again Cape Town for the Most Beautiful Marathon in the World< Two Oceans!!!



With the madness of sooo much going on these last few months and especially this last week of being in 3 continents in 1 week, somehow had time to browse my blog to read about my write about my experience, yes, all 3 of my blogs about build up, run and everything in between. Admit it was quite detailed, haha. Was almost giggling to myself on the utter excitement i had just over a year ago, and... well, not to discount it at all, buuut this year was almost the exact opposite and almost a bit too relaxed. The major thing of why that is is that am in the midst of training for something BIGGER, and that has been the focus of my running. Everyone said to use this run as a training run, which makes sense, soo... as I often don't get too excited about training runs, there you have it! Needless to say, have done A LOT more mileage in training this year than last year, already a few weeks at 90-100km/week vs the max 1 i've done before. So again, this run I was ready to do as instructed to be a "training run" of 56km (35 miles), but secretly was prepared to run it strong.

Before i go on, have to back track a little about a few things (uh oh, here even I thought was going to keep this short and sweet, but alas, will get sidetracked). So back when i decided to do the Big C, as i will call it, hehe (there will be plenty about that in other blogs!), my good running friend had befriended some other people that were also doing it. Two are these S. Africans, Nic and Tim, that have run Two Oceans AND the Big C several times. Not jut that, but they are great athletes and soooooooooo into running. Super committed, positive, dedicated, and just love it. Their enthusiasm is contagious and they, out of our little group of Team Cuckoo's (which we are calling ourselves), do the furthest driving, both have families and of course full time jobs, and are just AMAZING and all about running these S. African races. Soo... somehow, don't even know this happened, my own competitiveness or i guess stubborness, somehow slowly but surely started creeping up to their level. Then lo and behold, felt one in the same. Shocking to me and... still don't know how it happened. Think it's because when you train with people faster and better than you, you become faster and better! Anyhoo, why am I blabbing about this? Team SA, as I like to call them, REALLY improved my running.... BIG time. So when Two Oceans crept up, they were talking about aiming for 5:15-5:30, again, training run for the Big C. Not flat out racing it, but doing well. My time from last year was 5:27, which i was super pleased about, so thought i could have a comfy 5:20? This year training has been way different (better) and felt I could do better, but because the last couple of weeks were so all over the place with my travels, my mojo pooped out and my running confidence dwindled a bit because just felt lethargic and lazy (that's what being home does to you! Haha). So my plan was ... start with Team SA and... hang on as long as i could. That was it. Their friend Nikki, who was staying with me and a solid runner herself also had the same plan, so just like the Dubai marathon, we all set off together.

Uh oh, here we go! Now begins an overly detailed report of my run prep! Again, this is all reference for myself for later on! I promise, no offense if anyone skips over this, hehe. 

Last year was totally nazi and strict with my diet and literally was a good 5-6lbs lighter than i am now. This year, again, maybe it's because of the Big C where the main advice is to keep eating, just can't seem to be bothered and am just eating sensibly and fairly healthy, but having my fair share of sweets and everything in between. And am okay with that! So as mentioned, my USA trip was all about bday cake and American indulgences, my few days in Dubai in between was again all over the place, and then upon arrival to Cape Town, picked up carbo loading as I usually do a couple of days before a big run, but desserts and other goodies in between, and felt puffy and big. Blargh. And besides really staying away from dairy, which really irritates me now, was gluten not free (haha, had so much bread and pasta!), haha, and definitely sugar plus (haha). 

My breakfast of champions was: a "shake" of FutureLife (as you can tell, am pretty much doing whatever Team SA is doing. It is this S. African high protein and carb athletic grain cereal type thing), chia seeds, this time added bee pollen, a little bit of beetroot powder, UCann powder for flavor, and some oats. Phew! 

Soo, was with Team SA, Nikki, and their running friends at the start, and unlike last year when I got all emotional with the national anthem and the traditional songs, these people were chatting away and didn't even have a chance to have a "moment." Everyone was too too relaxed and too too comf, versus the jittery first time anxiety i had last year with Kathryn and other newbees. Also, these guys were tossing around their previous Big C experiences like no other, I was the only newbee on that. And again, as I mentioned, was too too relaxed about it and never felt nervous for the run, almost odd! It crept up too quickly and really didn't have time to process things before it came. Maybe that's a good thing?



Weather: Windy, but cool at start. Predictions said sunny and hot day, up to 26 C, but start was 14-15C - perfect! Was rather windy at the start and throughout some rather forceful gusts of wind, some headwind and also tailwind. Nothing too too bad, but it does affect things a bit (ie. working harder with headwind...  but not going anywhere). Then later not a cloud in the sky and a beautiful sunny day. 

Outfit was throw away t-shirt, vest, shorts, compression socks, awesome Hoka shoes, Garmin 220 (soon to be upgraded! Excitement!), sweat band with pocket for electrolyte tab and Amino acid tabs (x3, wrapped in aluminum foil), race belt with my Gu's and jelly beans, and a strong head on my shoulders (most important!).  Had garbage bag as wind protection to stay warm before the run, but lent it to poor Tim, who was in a simple tank top and he is tiny and was cool to start. 

Sooo... basically the first 28km is known to be flat and... you can go fast as it is top heavy and you are bound to slow down later Again, with strategy to hold onto and stick with Team SA as long as possible BUT still listen to my body and if it was too quick, to back off, I trailed along and could tell I was going faster than I normally would, BUT... felt okay. Nikki dropped off at 11km and thought for a sec if I should, but again, felt okay so carried on. They saw a few friends of there's and that always boosts spirit and they had the tendency to speed up after that. I had to reel them back a couple of times as we were clipping some fast km's, 5 min, 5:15's, but they were relaxed and talking and joking and just too casual. I did think they were a bit quick, but what do I know? Normally I can be chatty when running but was so focused on keeping up, was rather quiet, which they commented on me being in the "zone" early on. Later I got more relaxed, but that first 28km, was focused ok keeping pace yet quiet. 

We then hit the first big o climb, Little Chapman's peak and then the big Chappie's Peak (as the locals call it) - we ran the whole way... and I felt fairly strong. These guys are quite strong on hills, and somehow we were all in the same and made it without walking and... felt good. Phew! Then there is a looong decent of about 4-5km (ish). So Tim dropped off somewhere (toilet?) and then Nic did as well... what to do? I thought that was that and these guys are strong so carried along the pace we were doing. Downhill do take a beating on your legs and you should take it easy, everyone advises on that. So needless to say and unbeknownst to me, these poor guys found each other and then were set on finding me, but that meant they really had to go faster and harder... basically sacrificing their legs. So they were both cursing me in their heads and when they popped up next to me, I was like "hey!" And no joke, they both hardly grunted at me, didn't look at me, and had not happy faces on. Oops. I didn't know all this till later. They later eased up on me (phew!). They run most of their races together and know how to work with each other, but besides a bit of Mumbai and Dubai, this was totally new to me. So now I officially am coined as having bad running etiquette, wah! Oh no! They may tease me about that for awhile! Anyhoo, we carried on and thank gawd we slowed down the pace and got to some hills and then started some run walk strategies, which was awesome. We actually ran the whole thing and only at the famous Constantia Neck started and ran walked for some hills after that. Awesome that we were a team, calling out when to start and stop running, and just supporting one another. A bit later Nic stopped to walk a bit and again, I didn't know what to do, so was like la de la, and kept going, oops, but it wasn't as dramatic as the last one and really did slow down a bit and they caught up with less of a grunt. Phew. Then... those last 15 or so km, for some reason, felt good and strong and was doing more of the leading. And the tables turn.... to the point where Tim said for me to go ahead as Nic was struggling a bit and he said he was getting a cramp in his left quad.

Thank gawd i said no... yes, felt i could have gone ahead buuuut these guys were so nice and really paced me well, thought running together for practically 50 km out of 56km, might as well try and take it the whole way. So we kept on going. Well, the last 4-5km, Tim got this burst of energy (guess that cramp went away!) and we were running quite a good clip, Nic had dropped off and Tim seemed okay to keep going (phew). He kept going faster and faster... and the last 2km let him go as was starting to feel quite tired. 

At that point, probably up to 28km when we starting the climbing portion of the run, didn't look at my watch AT ALL, and that first bit was so that we weren't going too fast. Am soo glad I didn't, why add the pressure? Go by how you feel. My watch was about 500-600m off from the km, which was annoying as it clocked 56km, buuuuuut couldn't even see the finish. So really had NO idea how I was going to finish. Of course knew it was going to be better than last year, but not by how much. Didn't even let it cross my mind. Anyhoo, I guess this is a tendency because my blog said I did the same last year! So I  picked up some energy those last couple of hundred meters and... as am getting older, so is my vision, so saw the clock but couldn't see the time. Then got closer and then I see 5:13!! Wow! Thought to get under 5:15 would be amazing and.... picked it up more and da da dum, finished 5:14:22!!! Saw Tim at the finish and he too was so happy and smashed his previous best time by 13 min as well!! YAYYYY!!! Then we stood and waited for Nic, his previous best was 5:18 and were anxious for him to at least beat that. We finally saw him cross at 5:17 - hurrah, best times for all!!!! We had a nice big group hug and just happy we had good races. Nic wasn't as happy as Tim and I, he probably wanted to shave a few more minutes off, but said he just didn't have it in him. What to do? Then later he commented about my taking off during that downhill part and them working so hard to catch me, oops! "Running etiquette Ellen! Running etiquette!" Oops, felt like an arse, but really, this is my first time racing with people and they are bosom buddies and I was just tagging along, but super sweet and nice of them to include me and .... we worked really well together! Although as expected, we quieted down later, even though we were silent, just nice to have a person of comfort next to you. 

Oh, another side note for me;
-15km, 30km, and 45km took 1 x solgar essential amino acid and 1 x hammer endurolyte extreme (the best! Last year i cramped and this year didn't. Also gave a small bottle to Tim, who usually cramps, and he didn't besides that little quad niggle that apparently was short and came and went
-At 21km, 34km and.... think around 44-45km, took GU Roctane energy gel.
-Love those jelly bean electrolytes and popped a few in a couple of time, think around 30km and around 48-49km. 

Sooo, there you have it! 

Will post more details on splits later, but what I have now: 
28km: 2:34:33 (last year 2:37:04)
Marathon: 3:52 (last year 4:00:36)
50km: 4:41 (last year 4:52:07)
FINISH: 5:14:22
(last year 5:27:20)








Next blog, as before, the social part of the weekend in Cape Town! 

No comments:

Post a Comment